Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rattle / banging from passenger side rear?

Now that I've got my lifters quieted down, I'm focusing on all the other noises that were previously either masked or secondary to the (loud) engine tick. I have noticed a fairly significant rattle / banging noise from the passenger side rear of my 91 Loyale wagon. It does it on any slightly rough surface, and is most pronounced on any sort of "washboard" surface where it appears as a steady rattle until smooth pavement is reached. It sounds kind of like a not-fully-latched door banging, or maybe a wrench bouncing around in an un-padded metal box. I've made sure that all doors are completely closed and latched and have no play or rattle (including the hatch), I've emptied everything out of the cargo area including the storage compartments, and I've padded the rear storage compartment lid with towels to eliminate it banging. I have also replaced the rear strut on that side of the car since it was squeaking. The squeak is gone, but the rattle is still there. All the rubber on the strut assembly was good and pliable, so that shouldn't be a problem. The weird thing is, to me it really sounds more like the noise is inside the cabin rather than being transmitted from outside. I welcome any ideas, because right now I'm stumped! Thanks.

...The weird thing is, to me it really sounds more like the noise is inside the cabin rather than being transmitted from outside.

Well... From the Inside? ... I think there are few things that could make a sound like that, and by their position, the sound can be heard as from the inside, or really can be originated Inside the Car.

First Idea: The Muffler and its related sustainin` parts... if one or more of `em, hits the car`s floor -or nearby- the sound shouldn`t got an "Exactly Source" to identify if it comes from one or another side... You can put small wooden pieces between the muffler, the pipe, and the car`s nearby area, and drive it; just to try... if the sound goes, there was the cause. Just Don`t leave the Wooden pieces there!!! ... They can take fire :-\ and it can be Dangerous. Repair the Pipe / muffler position as Nessesary. Sometimes muffler doesn`t make any noise while movin` it with hands or something to try... it will Depends on the Nature of the Pipe position and the vehicle movements.

Second Idea: Maybe is a foolish Idea, but since the rear seats` base can be "folded up" to increase the cargo area, might be that there`s anythin` left hidding there? ... somethin` like a Tool, or even the Seatbelts, etc...

Third: Loosen wheel Ball Bearings?

Good Luck!!! :burnout:

Well... From the Inside? ... I think there are few things that could make a sound like that, and by their position, the sound can be heard as from the inside, or really can be originated Inside the Car.

First Idea: The Muffler and its related sustainin` parts... if one or more of `em, hits the car`s floor -or nearby- the sound shouldn`t got an "Exactly Source" to identify if it comes from one or another side... You can put small wooden pieces between the muffler, the pipe, and the car`s nearby area, and drive it; just to try... if the sound goes, there was the cause. Just Don`t leave the Wooden pieces there!!! ... They can take fire :-\ and it can be Dangerous. Repair the Pipe / muffler position as Nessesary. Sometimes muffler doesn`t make any noise while movin` it with hands or something to try... it will Depends on the Nature of the Pipe position and the vehicle movements.

Second Idea: Maybe is a foolish Idea, but since the rear seats` base can be "folded up" to increase the cargo area, might be that there`s anythin` left hidding there? ... somethin` like a Tool, or even the Seatbelts, etc...

Third: Loosen wheel Ball Bearings?

Good Luck!!! :burnout:

Thanks for your input. I don't think your idea about the seats is foolish at all, and in fact I just went out and switched 'em from seat configuration to cargo configuration and drove around the parking lot at work. Unfortunately, it didn't take care of the problem, but it was certainly worth a try and something I had *not* done yet. I'll pursue the exhaust / muffler issues when everything is cool, but I did install a new muffler a couple of months ago - maybe something is loose. Thanks again.

I checked the muffler and exhaust system and could find nothing loose or rattling. I also jacked up the car and attempted to wiggle and lift the rear tires, but could find no play. I did notice what looked like some play (gaps) at the crossmember bushings when both rear wheels were raised off the ground. I have attached a couple of pictures. This may be the normal appearance of these bushing locations, but I don't know. What do you guys think? Thanks.

post-20247-136027624361_thumb.jpg

post-20247-136027624367_thumb.jpg

i had a very similar problem, but it was VERY come-and-go.. it would not always occur under the circumstances that did occasionally cause it to crop up.

My problem was the rear quarter panel window trim piece, behind the passenger door, on my sedan. Check any similar type trim pieces for looseness; just tap them lightly with your hand and see if it sounds like a devilishly familiar clacking you've been hearing.