Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replacement fork

Good news. I checked at a couple of places about putting in the clutch. The one place grilled me with questions about symptoms. He asked if I could shift it with the engine on. I asked why that would matter? (Noobie and all). He said when the engine is running it spins that stuff down there. If I couldn't shift it without the key on, there was transmission isuues not clutch.

As a last resort, I stopped by the Subaru delaership. They are last resort because they have only been open a couple of years. While waiting for the service guy, I wandered up to the parts counter and inquired about a fork. Yup, they could get one but didn't have any on hand. They were like $33.00 The parts guy said they almost never need them. BTW, the service guy never got back to me.

I went home and tried to shift with the key off. Wallah!!! No tranny issues. I did notice however, that the clutch doesn't get tight til about 1/3 to 1/2 the way to the wall. Before the service guy got hung up on the phone I had asked him if they had anyone that had worked on one that old '81. I was looking in the service bay and thought my car was older than anyone in there!!!

The fork is pretty tough, don't see how it would cause you problems, but I guess it's possible.

When you say it won't shift, do you mean the shifter won't 'snick' into the gears, stays in neutral? That would probably be a tranny problem.

Or do you mean that you can shift fine, but the car won't move, acts like the emergency brake is on? another tranny type problem.

Or, you can shift fine, and when you let out the clutch it appears that the car is in neutral. Most likely a clutch problem.

i bought this from aq guy who really didn't know anything about it except that there was a clutch issue. It had sat for about 6 years or so. I've been gettin it back into running condition. When the engine is running it will not go into the gear position and schtick. When the key is off it goes in and schticks into gear just fine. Haven't driven it down the road. I suppose I could and just stay in first gear. I haven't dove into the shifter and clutch guts.

Kinda sounds like a simple clutch cable problem to me, might need to be adjusted/ replaced. If the clutch was bad it would slip in gear, but I can't see how a worn clutch would make it hard to get in gear. If you can shift into all the gears w/ the motor off but not with it running the cable would be where i'd start. If you put it in first with the car off, then start it, does it drive??

my $0.02

croak

Check your pedal assembly as well, especially if the clutch cable adjustment is all the way tight. That year had a very weak mount where the cable mounts to the pedal support, and if the cable binds up or there is increased resistance in the clutch, it will bend the mount, and cause this exact problem. This is why I got my Hatch as cheap as I did.

The fix is to order a pedal support assembly and clutch cable for an 83 Brat, about $100 from the dealer, and swap your pedals onto the new support. It's about a 45minute job, you don't have to take the column down or anything.

I will check the cable and the mounting thingy. but to answer a couple of questions.

Car off: Will shift into all positions and stay there.

Car on: Will NOT go into any position...grinding sound.

Clutch kit arrived yesterday. Good deal. only $60.00 shipping included! It is a remanufactured one from Fort Wayne Clutch something or other. Part number matches the new LUK brand. All pieces are there.

Sounds like the clutch is staying engaged, so clutch cable broken or needing adjustment - and ok, the fork - could be your problem. Tranny is probably ok. You'll discover what it is easily once you're in there.

I bought one of those Ft Wayne rebuilt clutch kits once, and it worked fine. The pilot bearing looked kind of cheap, but it never gave me any problems.

good luck!