Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think it may happen, gonna trade the Soob

:(:eek::confused: It makes me so sad, but today I may end up trading my Loyale for an older jeep cherokee. I like the cherokees, was my first ride, but I love My Loyale... Its been so, well, Loyale to me!! :burnout:

I know I will end up with another soob sooner than later, it is just "where to park it". She will kill me when it does happen, but its an addiction- it must be fed, right? :horse:

You all have help me out a million times w/ advice, instructions and even parts. I will definatly be directing the new owner to this website to join the family

I will always be checking in here, You guys rock- You're the best! :banana::headbang::banana:

:(:eek::confused: It makes me so sad, but today I may end up trading my Loyale for an older jeep cherokee. I like the cherokees, was my first ride, but I love My Loyale... Its been so, well, Loyale to me!! :burnout:

A Cherokee? I have several friends with Cherokees and they are piles. My friend Dave's had a piston skirt crack, leading to the piston breaking eventually and crakcing the #5 cylinder bore. Cost over $1300 just to do a minimal rebuild. The jeep had about 125k miles when that happened. Then his transfer case ground itself to pulp about a year later. Not to mention, his ABS system, which uses and electric High pressure pump rather than a vaccum booster for power brakes. It operated in strange ways, pulling the car violently left or right during breaking(Probably from bad wheel sensors). When the High pressure line blew out($192 from dealer,not available elsewhere), we replaced the ABS with a Conventional Master and booster. This is all on a vehichle with less than 150k miles.

But maybe your Cherokee won't be as crappy.

Wanna sell that D/R fivespeed?

I have owned and know alot of people who have Cherokees. In my opinion they are an excellent vehicle. If you you want to go wheelin they are far far far superior to any stock sube. If you do your preventive maintenence on them they are extremely reliable. The fuel economy is not as good as you will find with a sube but that is about the only downfall. The 4.0 inline 6 is a great engine.

The 4.0 inline 6 is a great engine.

Sorry, I can't agree. I live in the town where they built them. My son's grandpa worked on the assembly line installing the cranks and piston for years. He says that when they put them toghether often scratched bearings and nicked crank journals and pistons where *acceptable*.

Not to mention that there are like a dozen bars around the factory. A couple on every side, literally across the street from every entrance. So the whole plant was half drunk(or half the plant was completely drunk) after every lunch break.

Sorry, I can't agree. I live in the town where they built them. My son's grandpa worked on the assembly line installing the cranks and piston for years. He says that when they put them toghether often scratched bearings and nicked crank journals and pistons where *acceptable*.

Not to mention that there are like a dozen bars around the factory. A couple on every side, literally across the street from every entrance. So the whole plant was half drunk(or half the plant was completely drunk) after every lunch break.

Well with all that said it is a true testament to its greatness that I have seen several 4.0 liters with over 200,000 miles that have never had any internal work done to them.

Well with all that said it is a true testament to its greatness that I have seen several 4.0 liters with over 200,000 miles that have never had any internal work done to them.

They where redesigned in 92 mildly(modified PCV and intake), and then in 95 more extensively(Moly coated pistons, one piece main bearing cap/web, ). And they moved the production to another factory. So perhaps the ones you've seen are from the newer production line

i can understand why you want the cherokee for better towing but y trade in your subaru. Shirley there not going to give you much for it. And i also disagree that the cherokee isnt reliable. I know many 80s and early 90s that have over 200 thousand miles on them. One of the great engines jeep really screwed up when they dumped the inline 6. Didnt the cherokee have solid front and rear axels up until they discontinued it.

Ben

The Jeep 6 is a pretty stout motor. I know of many that have lasted a long long time. However, it's everything attached to the motor that goes out on them. My mom's 2001 has 50,000ish miles on it, been through 2 water pumps, 4 thermostats, 5 A/C Compressors, 2 coil packs, transmission is being finicky, and the oil pump needed to be replaced. But then again, all of that was under warrantee by Carmax, and I am sure they used garbage for parts.

P.S. When doing oil changes, the oil pressure sender is in a bad place, so when you muscle the filter off, you can hit it and break it, so you have to be quite careful about it.

All good stuff... And the reason to trade the soob is simply driveway space (and $ for plates, insurance, bla bla bla). I won't trade it, they'll probably ADD $200 to my bill just to take it away! :-p I'll sell it to someone...

Does anybody know of a jeep - like vehicle for sale near Chicago?