Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL-10 thudding and stuff

Its a 1987 GL-10 SPFI 5 speed 2WD. And it has a problem. When your going down the road, usually above 30, u press in the clutch, and a THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD happends. And when you push the gas when driving along it pops/clunks like somthings broken or lose and shifting under the passengerside floorboard, and when you let off it does the same thing. What could it be?? No popping or clicking around corners, no obvious broken things, could the transmission mount be no good? or the axle?

If it was just the pushing in the clutch part i would assume it would be the throw out bearing gone bad. That could make a horrendous noise if its shot. As for the driving along im not sure. If your clutch cable is too tight than maybe the throw out bearing is riding on the fingers and causeing that noise. Just a shot in the dark.

Something tells me rather than being speed related its RPM related. Rev the engine up to around 3000 or whatever RPM that you usually shift at and depress the clutch in neutral. If you hear the noise without the car moving and only with you pushing in the clutch you know that its the throw out bearing.

There are two tranny mounts and two motor mounts. The tranny mounts are on either side of the transmission and are between the tranny and the crossmember. They are rubber and if they are bad will be dried out and ripped. The motor mounts are the same. They are on either side of the engine between the engine and the crossmember.

I'm gonna have to say its not the tailshaft:rolleyes:

Get under it and grab the tailshaft housing (or where the driveshaft for a 4wd would come out)

What I was meaning was the back of the tranny, where the driveshaft for a 4wd rig would come out. I know he know's where it is cause he had a 4wd RX;)

Well i found a broken exhaust hanger, wich i removed hoping it would be the clunking, thats a no. The motor and transmission mounts look just fine, and i grabbed the end of the transmission and it doesnt move much. Im seeing a ripped PS rack boot and CV joint on the passenger side, also all of the bushings for various suspension parts are toast.

Well i found a broken exhaust hanger, wich i removed hoping it would be the clunking, thats a no. The motor and transmission mounts look just fine, and i grabbed the end of the transmission and it doesnt move much. Im seeing a ripped PS rack boot and CV joint on the passenger side, also all of the bushings for various suspension parts are toast.

I do have a complete passenger side suspension and axle here at my place. Fairly new axle (23 spline) and newer strut (Gabriel IIRC). Come get them out of my garage and you can have them!

Hey, this is wierd, this car isnt an 87, its an 85! its got SPFI!? The engines definatly original, and the stickers on the car all say 1985, and the hood has the factory stickers with the FI info and vacuum routing. I thought they only came fuel injected in 87!? it had the old style flapper door style MAF

you mite want to check both left and right half shafts for a binding cv joint or torn or leaky boot. if you can or have access to a lift get someone to drive it and watch for the halfshafts to move out of round when they move. check all engine and trans mounts, a bad or worn one will cause a halfshaft to fail or move to much.