Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Diagnostic mode ea82t.

I did search and found green plugs under the wiper motor need to be connected only to lock timing, but there sounded like something else is needed to get the codes from the ecu.

I've been searching for about half an hour to find only half of what I need and to suspect something beyond the green plugs is required.

There are four test modes. With NEITHER test connector connected, and the key in the ON (engine off) position, the light will display codes

that relate to starting and driving. With ONLY the "Read Memory"

connector connected, historic codes will be displayed. With ONLY the

"Test Mode" connector connected, a dealership technician can perform

dynamic tests. The last mode is for clearing codes (see below).

I think this is where I got lost a bit. All these modes have different connectors or just 1 connector?

Bottom line, the check engine light is on and I need to find out what is not connected/right. I just replaced the heads and didn't get the vac lines right.

I've done this many times before on my rolla, but its only 1 plug and you jump the wires which 'locks timing' drops idle and busts out the codes, so when there sounds like more than just connecting 1 thing, i get a little lost.

This board is n00b-friendly, right? :cool: :lol:

If the CEL is on, do not plug any in. The ECU will flash the codes at you that are present.

If you want to see what codes have occured in the past (only really useful if the CEL is intermittent), connect the white/black connectors.

If you want to run a dealer-check mode, connect the green ones. There's actually a whole procedure for running the D-Check. So, its really not useful unless you know what the procedure is.

NOTE: The CEL doesn't flash. There's an LED on the side of the ECU that flashes.