Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FWD EA82T for EJ swap; Spline Count & Tranny Matching

MSSLGECKO

I've been watching out for an EA82T rolling chasis for cheap to swap an EJ22 into and I came accross a 2WD GL Turbo Wagon (86).

My question is: Does the 2WD EA82T use a 25-spline axle? (like the FT-4WD & EJ AWD Tranny?)

If it does, will this mean that I can use an EJ22 FWD Transmission for an EJ swap? (I would like to avoid using an adaptor plate if possible.)

I called the owner of the FWD Wagon and he said it was pretty much ready to roll w/ no engine in it. I was banking on going the EJ AWD tranny route; but now I'm thinking maybe I can do it w/ the 2WD Tranny . . .

Thanks for hearing me out,

-Noah

if it has 25 splines then ya use the legacy 2wd trans. however if it is 23 spline (i don't think turbos ever had 23 spline but then again i didn't think they made 2wd turbo cars either...) then get a trans out of a 2wd ej18 impreza... 1993 round about. these had ej series axles but they were 23 spline... :)

FWD turbos had 25 splines. the front axles that I was running in my wagon all year (with RX FT4WD trans) came from a FWD 4EAT turbo wagon.

you sound like you probably have your reasons. but I don't understand why you need an EA82t chassis, or why you don't want an adapter plate....

and you could also convert it to AWD/4WD pretty easily.

I am set on an EA82T for the swap mostly because I was planning on running an EJ AWD Tranny, and by the sounds of it, it is easier to do so w/ an EA82T chasis. I don't really want the adaptor plate mostly because I think I can source the EJ tranny cheaper than ordering the plate and machining the flywheel.

As far as the 2WD-4WD conversion, how hard is it?