Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need some info EA81

Hey guys, Trikerbob here. As you can see by my name I'm a Triker. My wifes Trike is running an 1985 EA82 motor and is a real sweetheart. I'm getting ready to convert my new Trike over to Subie power and i've been searching for a low milage motor for it.

I just recently found an 1985 ea81 from a hatchback and wanted to know what you guys think about this motor as compared to the EA82. As near as I can tell there are several differences in the two motors. But just from photos I've seen of it, I can't tell much.

After reading a few post out here, I think I know a little about the motor. The hp rating seems to be about 10hp less than the EA82, thats not to big a deal. And it seems there are other differences I should know about. It looks like it doesn't have the timeing belts like my EA82 so I assume its a push rod motor. I guess this would be OHV and not OHC.

What other things would some of you like to tell me about this motor. Would there be any reason to stay clear of it, or is it a good choice for a Trike project? If so, Why?

Thanks, Bob:)

Its a great choice for a trike. They are simple machines and run for a very long time. Your correct, it is a OHV with pushrods. That is the major difference between the 2. The EA81 and EA82 have the same displacement. They are both H4's. The EA81 Only came in a carburated form (unless you find a turbo EA81, but goodluck with that). The EA82 was offered with a Carb, SPFI and MPFI.

There aren't many other differences than that. The 10hp you lose can be made up easily if you install an aftermarket Weber carburator. However, being in California it wont ever pass smog again. Not sure what standards your trike has to meet, so you maybe able to get around that.

If it were me, i would preffer the EA81 over a EA82.

Its a great choice for a trike. They are simple machines and run for a very long time. Your correct, it is a OHV with pushrods. That is the major difference between the 2. The EA81 and EA82 have the same displacement. They are both H4's. The EA81 Only came in a carburated form (unless you find a turbo EA81, but goodluck with that). The EA82 was offered with a Carb, SPFI and MPFI.

There aren't many other differences than that. The 10hp you lose can be made up easily if you install an aftermarket Weber carburator. However, being in California it wont ever pass smog again. Not sure what standards your trike has to meet, so you maybe able to get around that.

If it were me, i would preffer the EA81 over a EA82.

Thanks, I don't have any smog issues on the Trike (yet) My EA82 is running the Weber progressive and runs great. I removed evey sigh of smog related stuff from the manafold and pluged all the holes and its doing very well for over 7000 miles so fare, plus the 135,000 it started with. The EA81 I found has 150,000 on it now. Sounds like it might be a good choice.

Bob

Another thing to note is that there are two types of EA81s. There are the hydrolic lifter ones that do not require lifter adjustment and there are the solid lifter ones that require the lifters to be adjusted every 15,000 miles or so. The hydro lifter EA81s can be idetified by the "Do not adjust valve clearance" sticker on the valve cover.

Another thing to note is that there are two types of EA81s. There are the hydrolic lifter ones that do not require lifter adjustment and there are the solid lifter ones that require the lifters to be adjusted every 15,000 miles or so. The hydro lifter EA81s can be idetified by the "Do not adjust valve clearance" sticker on the valve cover.

Thanks, thats good to know. I'll have to look into what one this motor is. My gut feeling tells me the hydrolic would probably be in the later models just before they went to the EA82 motors that were all hydro. So this 85 is probably hydro lifters.

Bob

If you do end up getting a solid lifter engine, make good access for the valve covers. Adjusting them is simple, but if you don't have good room, it kind of sucks. In the car it is a bit of a pain, but in a buggy, you could make quite good access for it. Another suggestion, is to check the oil pressure of it. Not a big deal if it is low, but if it is, you will need a new pump, they will wear out on an EA81. Also not difficult to replace.

If you do end up getting a solid lifter engine, make good access for the valve covers. Adjusting them is simple, but if you don't have good room, it kind of sucks. In the car it is a bit of a pain, but in a buggy, you could make quite good access for it. Another suggestion, is to check the oil pressure of it. Not a big deal if it is low, but if it is, you will need a new pump, they will wear out on an EA81. Also not difficult to replace.

Thanks guys, I'll keep all this in mind if I wind up taking this motor. In my Trikes engine access is never an issue. Lots of space all arouind it.

Bob:banana:

IIRC, most of the horsepower difference cane be accounted for byt lower compression, and EA82 SPFI pistons swap straight in.. SO if you wanted to get some pistons, and rings, and do a refresh on the motor, in the end you would have what many feel to be the best blend of the two.

Lots of EA81s in hobbyist airplanes; not many EA82s. Timing belt snapping on the interstate, == aww crap. Timing belt snap on the jet stream == ker-plat.

They (apparently) are a bit less prone to overheating (and therefore headgasket) problems as well.

ALSO, if memory serves, the EA82 intake manifold is a bit better flowing?? there is some reason that many will swap it over, at least.

It is a slightly narrower engine.. but other than those differences they are VERY similar for all practical purposes. From what I have read (I have no firsthand experience with the OHV motor) the 81 is probably the better engine for an exotic project motor like your trike.. but the difference is piddling.

course, you COULD go for the LPG high copression blowthru turbo OHV setup.. THAT would be fun... :grin:

Thanks guys, I'll keep all this in mind if I wind up taking this motor. In my Trikes engine access is never an issue. Lots of space all arouind it.

Bob:banana:

Bob, The EA-81 is a great engine. I am going to change my EA71 to the 81 in my trike. Also I am looking for an EA81 bell housing for a FWD automatic if you run across one. See you later, Carl (Blacksheep)