Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82T Timing help

I cannot seem the get the specified 20 degree BTDC timing on my 86 DL10 Turbo wagon. lining up the distrubutor I can get about 12 Degrees max and if i move the distributor one tooth I am at min of about 25 degrees. I have just put a new distrubutor and new timing belts on this engine too.

If anyone has had the same problem or any ideas that would be great thanks

DJ

IIRC, 85-86 Turbos do not use the 20BTDC setting. Its supposed to be something like 8*

All of my manuals are for 87+, so I don't have any way to confirm the exact number, but I am 99.99999% sure that the 85-86 (vane MAF cars) use a different timing setting than the later ones.

I guess I wrote that wrong the numbers are right, the marks are each 2 degrees, so 10, and 20, marks are right, but each notch is 2 degrees not 1, sorry for the confusion.

Egads, you scared me. I was about to run out and re-time Murph.... Oh hell, maybe I'll go out and do it anyway!!!:banana::banana::banana:

just flipped the haynes open, it says all 85 and 86 turbo 25 degrees BTDC. that's new to me.

According to my Alldata which I generally trust over a DIY manual, the timing for 85 86 are as follows

1781cc turbo 25*

1781CC MPFI 6*

86' 1781CC TBI 20 +/-2*

1595 & 1781cc 2v 8+/- 2*