Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If you can get it to Morgantown, WV (about an hour and a half) there is an excellent shop here. They got me a new engine, completely rebuilt and installed for 2K. A bit far though, too bad Imps can't fit in the back of a pick up.

Looking at the map now, it is really far. I can still try to help if you'd like, but theres probably something closer if you look hard enough, there needs to be a site that reviews shops.

sounds like they're predatory and trying to make a ton of money off of you. there are trans all over Pittsburgh for a couple hundred, so they're making over $1,000 for a couple hours labor. i'd ask them what the break down is - labor + trans to see where they are trying to hose you. even if they come down or install a cheaper used trans for you, there's still the item of trust. but that's probably your best option.

what i've seen shops due is give you like $100 for the car and also say if you don't have it fixed they'll charge a $50 a day storage fee for holding the car. happened to a buddy of mine less than a year ago around this area too. he had a non interference honda with a broken timing belt...they totally hosed him by quoting rediculously high and then convincing him to just sell it to them for chump change. they fixed it for $40 and turned around and sold it for far more i'm sure. if they end up trying to "buy" it from you, at least check on here first, might be someone willing to give you a fair amount for it.

They said they could put in a used tranny and front diff with 60,000 miles on it for $1400 with a 90-day warrantee.

Or do a total rebuild, which will run between $1600 and $2400 with a 12-month warrantee.

Yikes.

I have no way of getting the car back to OH myself.

My local trusted garage quoted me $1500 for a rebuild.

Something tells me it's not a good idea to put a used tranny in or have any of this work done out of state.

I spoke with a Tom Krynock (thanks Hocrest)... very informative and nice guy.

He can do a tranny swap for me for a better price, but my car is 5 1/2 hours from him there and back.

He also stated that the garage my car is at is a reputable palce.

Seems like a rebuild is out of the equation.