Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking at a 87 RX

Its been posted here too... but there is an 87 RX coupe, 5 speed for sale for $400 bux.

1987 Rx Subaru

1.8 turbo engine, manual 5 speed

2 door hatch back

would be a great restoration project, has a little body rust, and a possible blown head gasket, the car starts, runs and drives

The engine was replaced years ago and has roughfly 70k on current engine

This car has been in the family since 1992.

AWD with differential lock

I currently have a 3/4 finished 98 RS with a full v8 jdm swap on it (info found at http://www.gc8sti.net)

Should I jump on this thing or what? Im looking to use it as a DD till my car is done then rebuild the motor. (could be 6months max)

Oh and you can thank some RS25 guys for posting the link to here :-P

Its a rare car, a one of a kind. The transmission in that car wasnt offered in any other vehicle of its time. The Dual Range AWD with Center Diff Lock. Also came stock with a rear LSD.

The 1.8 on the other hand is a turd. Dont expect to make power close to what your RS has. But the car is definatly alot of fun to drive.

I had a '87 i did a few things to. The car would love to be thrown into corners. I miss the car, but i dont miss the lack of power.

-Brian

Power isnt a concern to me. I need soemthing thats going to get from point a to b reliably.

The RS is my power car... we are aiming for 350whp. My other car is a jeep wrangler, so its not like I need power lol.

Reliable really isn't the word of the day when it comes to EA82T's. They need a nanny and are tempermental. Biggest problems with them is the cooling system, the messy vacuum systems, and the primitive fuel injection.

It is, afterall, a 20+ year old turbo car.... I would bet the jeep is more reliable.

Oh, and the mileage is probably about the same as your jeep - right around 18 to 22 with the EA82T. Low comp. and the small turbo spools quite easily.

GD

Given propper maitenance the EA82T is as reliable as any Subaru motor. But if you try to get too much H.P. and race the thing, then dont get upset when it explodes in your hand.

DSC00643.thumb.jpg

When the EA82T Blew in my RX, i rebuilt it using a stock SPFI block & pistons. They have a higher compression piston in them. Then i just bolted on the (rebuilt) RX heads and all the turbo goodies. I removed my boost controller but left the intercooler on. The car ran great and had good power. Perfect for getting me to work and back, but i was constantly being beat off the line by Hybrids and minivans. The car looked cool, just didnt perform as well as I'd like, and instead of blowing up a freshly built motor, i sold the car and bought a Legacy Turbo.

Anyhow, I suggest the same if you are going to rebuild your motor. The stock RX turbo is good for 5lbs of boost stock (with a WRX or Saab Intercooler) or you will see around 7lbs w/out. The stock compression is 7.7:1 and the SPFI block will bring it up closer around 9:1. The higher compression removes any lag between stop & go and turbo spool.

For $400 you cant go wrong. Hell, the rear diff and trans are worth that alone.

-Brian