Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swap engines from Loyale to GL-10

Heres the deal. My 92 Loyale is slowly taking a crap, well its gettin faster now because of the cancer in the rear wheelwells. Everytime it rains my car floods and I can't go muddin nemore because I am afraid of breaking the rear shocks clean off. I bought Daswaff's 87 GL-10 back in March with the intentions of rebuilding the engine and using that as my daily driver. A lot has happened since then and I no longer have that in mind. But I need a better car before winter. So here is what I am thinking swap the NA engine from the Loyale into the Turboed GL-10. Would it be as simple as pluggin in the control mod from the Loyale along with the dash? Or is there a whole lot more involved like rewiring? I am off til Monday and would like to mayb make this a little 3 day project if possible. If there is no rewiring and such it is very possible to do. Please let me know your ideas.

Thanks

Josh

. Would it be as simple as pluggin in the control mod from the Loyale along with the dash?

The SPFI engine, the wiring, and the ECU all need to swap.

The next I defer to the ones who have done this for the final say-

Some of the guages are different, so maybe the dash unit or some mods there.

Some different exhaust pipes are involved

I think the engine / transmission is a bolt on.

The Loyale's rear wheelwells are beyond repair because of rust. In the past year rust has attacked my "Beast from the Far East". The insides of the rear wheelwells are about gone and taking the rest of the car with it. It also needs a new clutch, winshield repair and other little things but it runs great. I put a re-gasketed engine with only 125000 miles in her in 2005. So the engine has plenty of miles left in it. The car has spent its whole life in Iowa. Three owners and about 280000 miles later(140000 of which I put on) she is pretty much ready for Sooby Heaven. The GL-10 on the other hand I picked up in North Carolina. It is rust free and has a bad engine. Yes I know that exhaust won't match up and it is MPFI. But what will I need to do to put the NA into the originally turboed car.

Josh