Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys. Suddenly, my speedometer stopped working. I know it was having a somewhat hard time in super cold weather in the past, but now it's completely inoperatable. Is it hard to replace it? How much is a new one at the dealer?

Thanks guys...

What car, year/model egine layout/gearbox

maybe check this: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71564

AND

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10989

Sorry guys, it's a 91 Leggy, Auto, AWD.

Same as mine except the AWD. Can be either 3 options.

1. Part at gearbox failed

2. Part in dash failed

3. Cable is broken.

When you will start the car after its driven without the speedo cable connected the gearbox ECU will give a failure code by flashing the POWER light for 10 times. You can read out the failure by a sequence with the gear shifter and manual button to see which vehicle speed sensor it is, but most likely its the cable.

At the gearbox check if the cable is connected. In my thread on this forum you can see the pictures at the last page of what should be there at the gearbox. Its possible that the lower part which actually is driven by the gearbox is worn out. Hopefully its that part and not the driver in the gearbox itself.

Okay, things are getting worse (see my other thread). Tonight, I took out the speedometer cable on the tranny and it I pulled out the inner driver cable. It looks to be fine, no broken sign of any kind. I took out the instrument cluster assembly but I can't tell if it works or not. Should I drive the car with the speedometer cable unconnected and see (or feel) if the cable spins? If the cable doesn't spin, it's more like the gearbox inside the tranny is bad? If it spins, the speedometer itself is bad?

If the speedo cable is mounted in the gearbox it should always run the inner cable in the dash which then should indeed turn around.

It could also be that the connection piece is worn this is the piece connected with the inner cable in the gearbox which is held by a bigger piece of metal with a bolt/nut (never know which one is which :lol: )

If the cable doesn't spin, it's more like the gearbox inside the tranny is bad? If it spins, the speedometer itself is bad?
that's about right.

pretty sure you can jack the one side of the car up and turn the wheel by hand to see if the gear driven insert at the transmission (where the cable screws into) turns with the wheel. i believe it's the passengers side you have to turn. you can also try to turn the slotted insert with a screw driver, it should not turn (without the wheels turning). if it does turn then something is probably wrong.

you can also spin the cable/instrument cluster a variety of ways just by rigging up a drill to it, spin it and see if the speedometer indicates anything. if it does then it may be in the trans side of things.

Those are the ones that usually wear out first, whats the milage?

The vehicle itself has 248K miles on it. But I just bought the tranny used back in '05, so don't know how many miles it has. Before that, the 'then' tranny was actiing weird, but if I was smart, I could have just adjusted the Brake Band. I could swear it's just that because when I was replacing it, I could feel the Brake Band screw was really loose, it could turn by hand. According to a tech manual I read, it's suppose to be tight (@ 18 lbs).

It looks to be the adapter or the gear driver that screws right onto the tranny. Going to try a new one next (when it arrives).
what is this, what are you talking about? do you mean the end of the speedometer cable that screws into the tranny with the slotted end on it? or is this a part inside the trans? ever hopefuly mine is something simple but i know it's not.....grrrr....

what is this, what are you talking about? do you mean the end of the speedometer cable that screws into the tranny with the slotted end on it? or is this a part inside the trans? ever hopefuly mine is something simple but i know it's not.....grrrr....

It's the first, not the latter. If it's the latter, it will require taking out the tranny to service it or might as well replace the whole tranny.