Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I Need Help Now!!! Forester Rotor Removal

How do I remove the rear rotor on my 99 subaru forester? I have removed the caliper and cannot get the darn rotor off. I have to replace the wheel studs before tomorrow because I have to work tomorrow. Please help me!

Edit: Also, do i need to remove the axle nut? Is an impact wrench necessary? Is the axle nut clockwise thread or reverse thread?

Hello. After the caliper and caliper bracket are out of the way, and the rotor won't come off, first make sure you have backed off the parking brake shoes. Sometimes these will stick.

Next if the rotor has any bolt holes just inside the diameter of the hub studs. If so, the oem rotors will take an 8mm (don't know thread pitch; probably 1.0 or 1.5) bolt to drive it off the rotor. If no holes or you don't have the bolts, a 4-10 lb sledge is your best friend. I had to pound mine off my '00obw it was a real pain.

Then once you get the rotors off, if you need to remove the hub to replace the studs (i've seen arguments both ways), then yes (if you need to remove the hub), you will have to remove the axle nut. Subaru says hot to hammer on the hub as it can deform it, but people often seem to use a hammer to remove and install the studs.

Hello. After the caliper and caliper bracket are out of the way, and the rotor won't come off, first make sure you have backed off the parking brake shoes. Sometimes these will stick.

Next if the rotor has any bolt holes just inside the diameter of the hub studs. If so, the oem rotors will take an 8mm (don't know thread pitch; probably 1.0 or 1.5) bolt to drive it off the rotor. If no holes or you don't have the bolts, a 4-10 lb sledge is your best friend. I had to pound mine off my '00obw it was a real pain.

Then once you get the rotors off, if you need to remove the hub to replace the studs (i've seen arguments both ways), then yes (if you need to remove the hub), you will have to remove the axle nut. Subaru says hot to hammer on the hub as it can deform it, but people often seem to use a hammer to remove and install the studs.

How do i back off the parking brake shoes? I also do not have access to these bolts, as it is 8:30 pm. It seems to me that the rotor is one big piece that has been run through a lathe, is this right? Seems like the studs are pounded through the inner part of the rotor...Any of this sound right?

Right the studs go through the hub, you have to get the rotor off to get at them.

I would only use a 'raw' sledge against a rotor you aren't planning to reuse because the sledge will make a lot of dings/dents in the rotor. You could shield the rotor with a piece of 2x4 or something and sledge on that if you want to reuse the rotor.

How many studs do you need to replace?

I will see what pics I have to assist...

Ok, here's roughly what you're looking at before caliper and rotor are removed (this is '00 outback) note: no access to studs

brakerightrear1.jpg

Here is after the caliper and rotor are removed (note studs are accessible, though the Subaru procedure has you remove the axle nut, extract the axle, remove the hub, and press out the old stud(s) and press in the new stud(s).

brakerightrear2.jpg

How do i back off the parking brake shoes? I also do not have access to these bolts, as it is 8:30 pm. It seems to me that the rotor is one big piece that has been run through a lathe, is this right? Seems like the studs are pounded through the inner part of the rotor...Any of this sound right?

Excellent suggestions! THe rotor is now off....for the hub nut now. I've tried a breaker bar on it, and it wont work...Does it need turned left to loosen?? Should i use an impact wrench on it? What do i need to do about that locker on the hub nut?

Use a screwdriver or small pry bar or whatever to 'unstake' the axle nut. A good strong impact wrench will just override the lock anyway. Yes a good strong impact wrench makes this a lot easier. The axle nut should be replaced after removal but if you don't have another one try to at least make it so you can 'restake' the old axle nut. Socket size is typically 32mm, though there is some other size seens ometimes too.

Also if you can heat the axle nut with a torch or something that can help too. When I used heat and then impact the thing came off like butter.

mapp-axle-1.jpg

impact1.jpg

Ok, here's roughly what you're looking at before caliper and rotor are removed (this is '00 outback) note: no access to studs

brakerightrear1.jpg

Here is after the caliper and rotor are removed (note studs are accessible, though the Subaru procedure has you remove the axle nut, extract the axle, remove the hub, and press out the old stud(s) and press in the new stud(s).

brakerightrear2.jpg

That last picture sums up where i'm at right now. My assembly looks a little different though because i had to remove 4 allen heads. It doesnt seem as though i can replace the studs at the point. I have to take that stud plate off. The axle nut is the only thing holding me back. Suggestions to get that off?

Well...I haven't extracted a hub before. I think you need to get the axle out, then often the Subaru procedure has some contraption where you use a slide hammer to yoink the hub out.

Also it seems I have seen posts where people have hammered out the broken studs at this point without removing the hub and somehow put in the new studs....

I fixed my pics in my previous thread.