Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 issues

Zebisko

Well, as is customary for a car that I have just bought, my 1988 XT6 has started to break on me. I have ideas, but I need help with a few things.

1. Shifter is sloppy(not a big deal) but on the way home, got stuck in 4th gear. I played with it for a while, and it worked again, so I bet I need new bushings, any other ideas are welcome.

2. Transmission is crunchy, however I attribute the shifter being the cause of that.

3. It has started to misfire and surge a decent amount, and gas mileage is getting worse. For the first couple tanks, it was getting 25-26. Then down to 23, then to 20. It may just be my driving style, I dunno. I have a hunch it is the coil, as there is an aftermarket MSD Blaster 2 on there, and I don't trust it for pretty much no reason, like I said, a hunch. I want to check it, but I need the resistance values for it, so if anyone would have that and tell me, I would really appreciate it.

4. The brakes worked great. They were worn out, so I replaced them. Now, they work like crap. At first they are fine, but then more pedal effort doesn't really help, and after some mileage was put on them, they now screech like a banshee. Also, when moderate force is exherted on the pedal, a little *pung* sound is emitted from the drivers side. I put ceramic pads on there, so maybe that? Also, the boot around the caliper piston on the driver's side is torn.

5. Also, though it seemed the exhaust tip was firmly attached to the exhaust, it seems to have fallen off. Just a comment.:)

6. Clutch suggestions? The one on there is not very good, so I wanted to get a new one eventually.

Although that seems like a long list, I am happy with the car, I just really want a car to work well for me for once. Please help!

For starters, at the top of the main page here is a link to the new XT6 site. Lots of info and help there.

Although that seems like a long list, I am happy with the car, I just really want a car to work well for me for once. Please help!

You really should have bought a different Soob:rolleyes:

XT6's are very persnickety and tempermental.

1. From this question and the next, you may have more then a shifter bushing problem. I would try the "Tranny Cocktail" on it.

2. Skip this one.

3. The ER27 has a Idle Air Control valve (IAC). It will cause this problem. I think there is a procedure in the FSM for cleaning it. If not, I know theres something at the XT6 board.

4. Sounds like the brake pads need shims. This will keep the from squeeling. Or the stuff you can buy in the little pouches (blue glue).

The ceramics might make it worse too.

5. Go back and look for it?:rolleyes:

6. A stock unit should work fine. It would be a good idea to get the flywheel turned.

Cleaning the IAC is soober easy..pull it out and just spray it with brake cleaner until it runs clean..you can even soak it in brake cleaner ( just watch the electricals) I know Jim probably fixed the CTS so that shouldnt be a worry.

The "crunchy" shifting...My XT6 is like that abit too..but I dont have any slop but its a very tight shift...arent these trannys unsycronised? I am going to try the cocktail on mine maybe this winter.

IF you think the coil is a problem...the XT6 takes the same as a regular EA82 ..I am running my Loyales spare in mine

Do not fret...Ruby Sue is a good girl..she is getting used to you and learning you...I went through the same with Rocky. Took some time some swaring so threatening...but he is finally..a complete gentleman.( 100% turn around from wanting to push his carcass off a cliff..engulfed in flames huh:lol: )

Hmm, all good things, however, another issue arose this morning. Whenever the clutch is engaged, especially when accelerating in second gear, it makes a clackity clack every second or two. I was hoping it was the clutch, as I abused it quite much yesterday when I had to drive home in 4th. I'm going to see about taking some sound clips if I can.

The biggest problem with the brakes is the fact that they now stop the car very poorly. I wish I could have gotten normal brakes, but there were only the ceramics in town, and the brakes had gotten pretty bad.

I didn't have to look for the pipe, it fell off and rolled right by the drivers door, so I just opened the door, and burnt myself pretty good with the pipe.:grin:

As with buying this car, I only wish I had the money and time to both fix this one, and operate a different DD. Still selling Bucky?:confused:

I forgot you bought Jims XT6:rolleyes:

The tranny issue could be the clutch also. Some of this might be resolved by talking to Jim. He might be able to tell you more about the previous maintenance done to it.

The brakes might need a bleeding, it surely cant hurt to do it.

And I think Bucky is going to donate some of its organs in the near future:-p

Bleeding for the brakes wouldn't change things from good to bad overnight. You still have a decent pedal feel right the pads just aren't seated? If I remember right the XT6 has Loyale style brakes so you need to turn the caliper piston in and have it line up with the nub on the pad. Its possible you didn't get it lined up right and the pads are only hitting on the outer edge. This needs to be corrected quickly as you'll ruin your pads and rotors. Front rotors are replacable with 99 Cav rotors so you can replace those for under $40 easy. The pads themselves should be readily available. Also, make sure that everything is greased nicely in there as you might be having a hang pad.

Replace your tranny fluid and if you want to the bushings for the shifter are available, though not exactly cheap for the XTs. Don't overtighten them or it'll be just as bad!

The last time the brakes were done, the rotors were turned and the pads were replaced with ceramics. The entire system was bled just before the Dragon trip this year, and I only use Valvoline synthetic DOT4. As to why they are not stopping the car anymore I cannot say as I didn't do the job, but she stopped very well for me. I agree with Ben that the pads are probably not seated properly.

The shifter is sloppy and is just something I got used to. It probably could use new bushings to make it feel "right" again, and one of the springs that return the stick to center are missing.

What is wrong with the clutch exactly? It isn't the strongest clutch in the world, but the only time it would slip is if someone tried an all wheel burnout, and I never even had any problems at the autox.

Check the fluid in the tranny and check the drain plug as it worked loose on me once before iirc.

The ignition coil I put on there is epoxy filled and shouldn't cause any problems, but it is still possible. The resistance specs can probably be found on MSD's site if you want to check it out.

I put about 100 miles a day on her leading up to the day I sold her... she must really miss me. :-\

The clutch is annoying and kind of jerky, and I figure, since the transmission's syncro's are not too good for 2nd or 3rd gear, I'd get another transmission and replace the clutch as well. And now since that transmission is making horrible noises, it only makes this more reasonable.

The problem with the shifter is that it got stuck in 4th on me, and not the fact that it is sloppy. I couldn't care less about it being sloppy, but 4th is a bad gear to start off in.

Tranny oil is at a fine level and smells like gear oil should.

I only had a small hunch the coil was a problem as it was my only thing to go on at that point, although I will try the IAC and the filter and maf cleaning soon.

Brakes did work wonderfully, I think that me not getting it lined up properly may be the problem. I admit I didn't pay attention to that, as I do happen to be a moron at times.

She is a good car, she is just in the "wear-in" time for me.