Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ECL comes on - cant check codes - seems oil related

Legacy 2.5, 2001 MY, 96,000 miles. The other day when I started it the ECL came on. I checked the engine oil and found level was low - below minimum mark. Added 1 litre and all was good. I have since driven 200 miles no ECl coming on. Then today light comes on again while driving. I checked the oil level and it hasnt moved from where it was after I topped it off - mid way between high and low marks. Added about 150 mls oil waited a few miutes then started engine - light is now out again. I dont have ability to get codes but wonder if someone could hazard a guess as to what is wrong. I can understand why the ECL came on when oil level was low but now its OK, level hasnt changed and it came on again, just to go away after a bit more oil added. So to me it does appear to be oil level related. Oil and filter last changed at 90,000 miles.

Thanks for any help.

this is not oil related...or is very, very unlikely. coincidence only. you really need to get the codes checked, guessing is a very bad idea. the most common issue in my experience is plug wires (cylinder misfire code), but others may have different experiences so you're just relying on guess work without the code. if you end up changing the plug wires, make sure to use OEM Subaru only on this engine.

can you list your location, change your profile so it shows up under your location properly?

Thanks for the replies. Am in Scotland. Tried editing my profile - but now it shows me as being in Georgia!

Dont know of any way of checking codes except via dealer. I'll get it booked in for them to look at.

Sounds good. Of soob problems, knock sensor is not an uncommon one. Hopefully they don't charge you too much labor, since it takes about 5 minutes to replace.

Been quoted £100 all in - about $200 (Part i3 about $110). Told it can be done in a 30 min time slot. Is this something I should consider doing myself? Not familiar with sensor so figure am happy to have garage do it. Assume they also have to clear the memory of the code?

Not sure how code clearing works on other setups; I'm assuming you have something different than the ODBII setup here in the states.

The sensor is self replaceable, at least on US spec vehicles. I would imagine yours in the same location. If you look down under where the throttle cables are pretty much you will spot the knock sensor. If you can see it down there then you could figure whether it's something you want to try yourself or not.

You need a 12mm socket, like a 12 inch extension, and ratchet, and possibly a flex joint.

Yours is probably the 'double pole' style, so it looks a little different than the pic below (yours probably doesn't have the pigtail like this one) but the same idea.

knocksensor1.jpg