Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As described earlier, I was getting wear on the inside of a front tire of 99 Legacy Wagon. The alignment guy said that the camber was one degree negative. Since the camber is not adjustable on this model he suggested using a Fastcam Bolt to adjust the camber. Its an aftermarket cam bolt which replaces the upper bolt on the strut connection. I have seen one on the web that adjusts the camber up to one degree which would be perfect for my wheel. Any thoughts on pros and cons of doing this myself?

Hi. Here's a pic of some fastcam bolts I got from summitracing.com I still don't know why they would say the camber is not adjustable (for the front) - the rear I think is non-adjustable on that style suspension (provided it's not multilink) without using at least one of these camber bolts per side. The soobs I believe are generally 14mm.

You can certainly install the fastcam bolt yourself. Adjusting the camber can be more tricky, unless you want zero camber. I have done zero camber myself with a level and just iterative adjustments. If you try to adjust the camber yourself, you need a level surface like a concrete garage floor that is not sloped too much, and you have to pull the vehicle in and out between liftings and adjustments.

ingalls-fastcam1.jpg

The camber bolt (on the front) is the top bolt:

camber2.jpg

camberkey.gif

yeah, front camber is adjustable and -1 degree is GOOD. without a bit of negative camber you'll wear the outside edges off the tires first, due to the poor camber curve characteristics and excessive body roll these cars have.

As long as the toe is zeroed or very slightly in you'll be all good. Just make sure there's no cross camber.

Many alignment guys are idiots. If you can find a place that specializes in subarus and/or race cars, it will be well worth it.