Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza Speedometer Troubleshoot

Hey Folks, been a while... I've got a '97 imp wagon 2.2 mt, 120(?)k tranny rebuilt last December. That was a bummer, b-t-w...and was when I last posted here.

At issue now is a non-functioning speedometer, quit around March. Lived with it for a little too long, and what's really pressing is where I live it can't pass inspection as the condition causes check engine light to stay on.

I've purchaced and installed a new cable, and now own two gauge clusters. Old cable had a brown substance all through it (tranny fluid? read about that in an other post here...) and fell apart upon removal. I had convinced myself cable was the probelm. Nope, re-assembled, no needle movement. Gunk was on speedo head too, assumed that's what did it and considered myself lucky to find the exact match for my gauges on ebay. Just got the new(er) cluster, put it in, still no reading. Zero.

What hasn't been replaced is the 6"-7" solid section between bottom of cable and transmission housing. Anyone experienced with this part on this car? Could there have been a step I missed in diagnosing the problem? The $ investment thus far isn't quite as bad as when the tranny went, but I'm dropping lots of time on it. Meanwhile, state of NC is sending letters regarding fines for non-compliance. :slobber: Help please!

If you have your old cable, pull the center core and put it in the drive coming off the trans. Move the car and make sure its rotating, if not it could be a failure of the extension or the internal drive gear. (I thought the 97 had an electronic speedo, but you have a cable).

If its not turning, pull the drive extension and then look down the hole as you move the car and see if the speedo drive shaft is turning. If it does not turn, its the drive gear in the trans. If the trans was rebuilt, I'd go back to the shop.

Thanks, I'm not sure how I'm going to move the car while looking at this stuff.:confused: I'll certainly try if need be...

According to local soob parts desk '97 is the year they changed over from mechanical to electronic.

Removed the extension, is it supposed to have two female ends? In the morning light I couldn't see anything peeking out of the hole in the trans where it screws in. If there is supposed to be a shaft in the base of this thing it's definitely gone.

Of course, I'm trying to will it to be this part...I can envision fixing it myself. Not sure if I can go back to where the transmission was fixed as it's been so long.:-\

So, I'm really just looking for someone else who's had the extension off the transmission removed and in their hands. Seems like some sort of protrusion should be coming from the bottom of it.

Before and after my posts, I've looked all over the forums trying to gather the data, seems like this part is the least likely to fail of the three parts in the system;'tranny connector', cable, and gauge. Right?

Trying to decide if I should be concerned about the posibility this thing pooped a peice of metal into my transmission two-three months after a rebuild. No wierd noises, works fine...?

Gonna try to find the used part today, I'll be back...

I see, it's the adaptor stocked at subaru dealers. Still gonna try and go get a used one.

I've been reading the other thread from a few days ago and getting hints. Essentially, all of my research on this board shows me soobie speedo setups are a little problematic...

I see, it's the adaptor stocked at subaru dealers. Still gonna try and go get a used one.
Get it wherever you can -- my point was that the adapter failure isn't that uncommon.

I've been reading the other thread from a few days ago and getting hints. Essentially, all of my research on this board shows me soobie speedo setups are a little problematic...
Yes, "soobie speedo setups are a little problematic", as are some other parts. Where would this forum be if they weren't? ;):)