Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm new, but some help with my '74 GL would be great. REPOST

I think i posted this in the wrong section the first time. so here it goes again.

Hey all,

So i picked up this '74 GL (leone, 1400, etc...). It's a front wheel drive 4-speed, 2 door coupe.

Here's the issues. Idle seems to be a big problem. Thought i had it working last night, but i tried to start it this morning and it just dies if i don't keep the gas on. It also seems to be missing at idle and above this morning.

Here's what has been done so far. Replaced plugs, cap, rotor, plug wires, and vacuum lines. Rebuilt the carb, but i might need to clean the jets better. Timing is set correctly, i gaped the points properly. I believe the fast idle adjustment is correct, but i'm not sure about the idle and idle mixture adjustments. Two things i noticed. I'm missing my anti-dieseling solenoid, and the wire was cut to the anti-dieseling switch.

I think the automatic choke might not be working correctly, but i'm not 100%.

So... Any ideas? Anyone know how to adjust the choke?

Thanks,

-Dusty-

if you ever decide to sell it, please let me know. i`ll pay shipping if the price is right on the car.

just another option for you if you get fed up with it haha.

I like the car actually.

I would really like to drop in an STi motor some day, but we'll see if that ever happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you figure out the idle problem let me know. I'm having a similar one myself, but its on a '79 Brat. I'm pretty sure that its coming down to some kind of intermittent vacuum leak. All the hoses are stiff and brittle. I haven't had a chance to replace them yet, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

If you figure out the idle problem let me know. I'm having a similar one myself, but its on a '79 Brat. I'm pretty sure that its coming down to some kind of intermittent vacuum leak. All the hoses are stiff and brittle. I haven't had a chance to replace them yet, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

I replaced all of my vacuum lines already. I'm picked up a subaru engine gasket set foe the motor, so i will be replacing some gaskets. Valve covers, oilpan, possible intake. I'm curious if i have a leak there.

I don't know if my idle air screw is set anywhere near where it should be. If i can get it idling i'll play with it some.

Have you checked around the engine with a can of carb cleaner. Just spray around where it could be leaking (base of carb, intake gaskets...etc) and if the idle pics up you found your leak.

I need to try to do that again. I remember it doing that, but i can't remember where from.

I'll take it up to work on monday and see what i can figure out. Need to replace those gaskets i mentioned earlier anyway.

I'll let you guys know what i find.

-Dusty-

Hey Ratindahat,

I wanted to let you know that I just fixed my high idle problem on my '79 brat (EA71). I don't know if it relates to your soob. But after I upgraded the ignition system, it would idle too high even if I backed the idle speed screw all the way out. For more details check out my one man thread "Mysterious Idle Problem" in the historic forum.

I finally found that the problem was related to the vacuum control valve, which is part of the coasting bypass system. I do not know if your engine is equipped with one or not. If so, let me know. I could walk you through it. A very simple adjustment made her run smooth as silk. My vacuum control valve is bolted to the left side of the intake manifold and has a small rubber cap and some hose connections.

Heck by now, maybe you've resolved to just weberize it.

Crabman

Hey Ratindahat,

I wanted to let you know that I just fixed my high idle problem on my '79 brat (EA71). I don't know if it relates to your soob. But after I upgraded the ignition system, it would idle too high even if I backed the idle speed screw all the way out. For more details check out my one man thread "Mysterious Idle Problem" in the historic forum.

I finally found that the problem was related to the vacuum control valve, which is part of the coasting bypass system. I do not know if your engine is equipped with one or not. If so, let me know. I could walk you through it. A very simple adjustment made her run smooth as silk. My vacuum control valve is bolted to the left side of the intake manifold and has a small rubber cap and some hose connections.

Heck by now, maybe you've resolved to just weberize it.

Crabman

Haven't decided to weberize it just yet. I'm gonna be replacing a lot of gaskets tomorrow, but i'll go check out your thread and see if anything rings a bell. I could be wrong, but i do believe my engine has a vacuum control valve.. You have any pictures of it?

No picture but its not hard to find on these simple engines if you have one. Follow the vacuum lines. I have seen at least one other thread here of someone that upgraded to a more powerful ignition coil and also developed strange idle problems. I couldn't believe it when I turned this tiny little screw a quarter turn (counterclockwise) and then just like that the problem went away. Of course I had to readjust my idle speed screw since I had backed the screw all the way out, but whatever.

As stated in my thread, the biggest clue for me was this constant hissing sound coming from the carb when running. You can hear it best when you remove the air cleaner lid.

Do you have the Idiots Guide book for old soobs? It has good info on trouble shooting. I never would have found it if it weren't for that book.

Let me know what I can do to help.

No picture but its not hard to find on these simple engines if you have one. Follow the vacuum lines. I have seen at least one other thread here of someone that upgraded to a more powerful ignition coil and also developed strange idle problems. I couldn't believe it when I turned this tiny little screw a quarter turn (counterclockwise) and then just like that the problem went away. Of course I had to readjust my idle speed screw since I had backed the screw all the way out, but whatever.

As stated in my thread, the biggest clue for me was this constant hissing sound coming from the carb when running. You can hear it best when you remove the air cleaner lid.

Do you have the Idiots Guide book for old soobs? It has good info on trouble shooting. I never would have found it if it weren't for that book.

Let me know what I can do to help.

I definetly have a hissing sound from the carb and i do have that valve..