Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The noise seems to be coming from the rear wheels/more so like at the bottom of the vehicle. I haven't tried it in a gear other than D. I shall try that tomorrow. Shouldn't it make clunking noise if it's either rear bearings? I know back in '04 or so, the right rear bearing went bad, it making clunking noise. I replaced it. Maybe now is the left rear bearing? Could it be the center bearing? I heard, though, the center bearing almost never goes bad. If someone could shed some lights into this, I would really, truly appreciate it.

It's dawning on me that it may be the right rear bearing again. I just replaced it back in '04. Do bearings go out this quick? Maybe when the press machine shop did mine, they didn't put in enough grease, that's why it doesn't last. That's what I think.

I just thought of something: I think it may be the right rear axle. I'm checking on it tomorrow. But what causes it to make this "emmm.." noise (if not the bearing)? Do you guys know if I can replace the axle without lowering the differential?

I think you can, but will have to remove the suspension....but how did you replace the differential? Did you remove one side of the suspension, like the link w/the instructions suggested?

I think you can, but will have to remove the suspension....but how did you replace the differential? Did you remove one side of the suspension, like the link w/the instructions suggested?

No, I didn't remove any suspension parts. Basically, I lowered the exhause pipe, unbolted all the bolts that hold the differential, then it just came down. I don't want to remove the suspension. Back in '04 when I replaced the bearing, I tried to remove the suspension but was unsuccessful. Too hard to loosen the bolts/nuts without air/power tool. So, if I can't remove the suspension, I guess I have to lower the diff again. Not good...

No, I didn't remove any suspension parts. Basically, I lowered the exhause pipe, unbolted all the bolts that hold the differential, then it just came down. I don't want to remove the suspension. Back in '04 when I replaced the bearing, I tried to remove the suspension but was unsuccessful. Too hard to loosen the bolts/nuts without air/power tool. So, if I can't remove the suspension, I guess I have to lower the diff again. Not good...

Yeah, we struggled w/the suspension parts when I did mine, too. You were one of the lucky ones then...being able to get your diff out w/out undoing the suspension. I believe you'll see that there's not quite enough clearance/room to just remove the axle...you'll need to undo something....

• 5 weeks later...
It's dawning on me that it may be the right rear bearing again. I just replaced it back in '04. Do bearings go out this quick? Maybe when the press machine shop did mine, they didn't put in enough grease, that's why it doesn't last. That's what I think.

Just an update: Finally had to do it regardless if it was the correct component or not, and it was really the right rear bearing going bad again after only three years of service. Took it back to same Red Rooster's Machine Shop and the guy there managed to break the ABS wheel while trying to press out the bearing. I knew he did it because it was good when I took it there but I asked him to solder it back in place and it works okay so I didn't make a big deal out of it. Other people might have made a big deal out of it.

The humming noise is gone now and all is good again (for how long, who knows!). The guy told me that aftermarket bearings usually never last as long as the original (or OEM) bearings. The bearing on the other side still going strong and I'm already putting the second aftermarket bearing on, that's pretty bad longivity. I forgot what brand was the first one, but this one is a Federal Mogul bearing...anyone heard of it? Good or bad?