Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lock In/Out Hubs

jbain8

OK guy's just wanted to ask if anyone is running a Lock In/Out hubs on the front of their Sub's. I'm looking at going with a upper and lower control arm from a Nissan 720 with custom axles resplined for a nissan outer axle birdcage. If anyone has tried it and has some background on it I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Jer

They are double wish bone?

I can't see how you could fit double wish bone to a subie unless you have 8" lift.

Or are you that guy with the cool buggy? Then that would probably work. Although I would just cut the shafts and weld the outer CV shaft from the nissan to the inner CV shaft from the Subaru and stuff getting anything resplined.

I am actually planning on putting 6stub truck hubs and brakes on my Brat, just have to convert them to McPherson strut design and weld some drive shafts.

I was thinking about doing a 720 front end but only got as far as stripping the parts off an abandonned truck. The weight of all the components scared me off. With more horsepower it still might make some sense if you really want IFS, locking hubs, and stronger diff, axles, etc for bigger tires. I figured it'd be good for up to about 33" rubber with front and rear lockers.

I can't find the link now but there was a cool website for a pre-runner 720 with a lot of travel up front and it was still was 4WD. Simple mods, he basically made tall shock hoops and extended the arms a little. There's probably more Toyota IFS stuff around due to all the solid axle swaps and there's aftermarket for that.

Thanks for the replies, I may modify my lower control arm to accept a Nissan balljoint and just a tubular racing upper control arm that may help keep the weight down. I really want rear wheel drive without going to a transfer case....I'm trying to keep my buggy under 1200 pounds (if possible). I've also decided to use a Justy for the platform for my build. The dash in those things are only 51 inches wide and since I just finished my D/R today it's time to start on the suspension.

Yea Scott when I get overwhelmed I sometimes revert back to that mindset but like everything else I do it has to be difficult and besides in WV I really need the 4wd. Just today I talked with a fiberglass guy and I'm really considering building a one-off fiberglass body for my buggy even though metal is much easier to work with and 10 times easier to replace when bent. Oh well thanks for the input.

Jer

Yea Scott when I get overwhelmed I sometimes revert back to that mindset but like everything else I do it has to be difficult and besides in WV I really need the 4wd. Just today I talked with a fiberglass guy and I'm really considering building a one-off fiberglass body for my buggy even though metal is much easier to work with and 10 times easier to replace when bent. Oh well thanks for the input.

Jer

I work at a fiberglass bathtub company and am in charge of building molds if you need any assistance