Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange rattle from under the center of car?

I have a 96 outback MT that I just purchased.

180k miles.

new oil

New tranny oil

New air filter.

Makes a wierd rattle sound, which I thought was a heat shield but isnt, when I down shidt or let off the gas and let the engine slow the vehicle.

Sound is coming from underneath the car .

Sounds like its coming from under the middle console, between the seats.

Car drives like a champ and doesnt have any clutch slippage or tranny driveability issues.

Any ides?

I have a 96 outback MT that I just purchased.

180k miles.

new oil

New tranny oil

New air filter.

Makes a wierd rattle sound, which I thought was a heat shield but isnt, when I down shidt or let off the gas and let the engine slow the vehicle.

Sound is coming from underneath the car .

Sounds like its coming from under the middle console, between the seats.

Car drives like a champ and doesnt have any clutch slippage or tranny driveability issues.

Any ides?

The heat shields can be tricky, and can expand and rattle when warm. It could be an internal cat rattle, but the mechanic told my GF that about her Forester adn it turned out to be a heat sheild. The oneunder the center of the y-pipe is expecially tricky to tighetn. I recommend a narrow (.25) hoseclamp. The narrowness allows some spring to be imparted and handle heating and cooling. You can also cut down a wider hose clamp to a narrow profile for a few inches to accomplish the same thing,

Thanx for the info.

Yeah it doesnt rattle when accelerating or idle.

Just when I let off the gas or down shift .

Its weird.

Driveline seemed solid and no play.

Center heat shield that goes over the driveline was intact and solid.

All flex points on the exhaust are good.

Ill check those mounting plates tonight when I get home.

is it clutch related, when you let off of the gas and it makes the noise, does it go away if you push in the clutch pedal.?

Thanx for the info.

Yeah it doesnt rattle when accelerating or idle.

Just when I let off the gas or down shift .

Its weird.

Driveline seemed solid and no play.

Center heat shield that goes over the driveline was intact and solid.

All flex points on the exhaust are good.

Ill check those mounting plates tonight when I get home.

WellI got under there yet again tonight and shook and shook the heck out of the driveline .

Banged on the all of it with a rubber mallet and still......

Nothing came into contact or resembled the noise Im trying to track down!

I even removed all the heat shields from the front cat back.

Nothin helped!

GRRRRRRR!!!!!

The sound is only when I let the vehicle decelerate using the engines back pressure.

Not on acceleration .

Could a bad front diff cause such a ruckus noise ?

And how much play should the tranny mount have ?

Yes , I did look at those mounts.

I didnt see anything out of the ordinary or alarming but then I dont really know what they should look like?

I could move that crossmember just a hair when I wiggled the deiveline .

They have two bolts holding them to the body, they come straight out and should be flat. One bolt going up through the plate, crossmember bushing, into the body. The corners of these plates should not be bent upwards at all.

I did look at those plates.

They looked intact and unbent.

Nothing that caught my attention.

I will inspect them closer.

Im wondering if my rear tranny mount is possibly shot ???

When I grabbed the front of the driveline and pulled on it , there seem to be signifigant movement.

Im doing Timing belt, water pump, seals and front driveaxles beginning of next week so when I have it up off the ground and imobile for a few days Im gonna try and recreate the sound with the wheels off the ground while I hang out below the car.

Might aswell replace the mount since itll be up and it doesnt seem like its all that tough to do.

Looks like 2 14mm nuts.

This could sound kind of like my car. It made noise while backing off for a couple of years. I posted here and setright assured me that many old Subie manuals did that and kept on going. Well mine did for maybe 40,000 miles before the transfer case blew.

There is a spacer in the rear of the case that keeps the rear bearing from allowing movement of the gear set back and forth. After some time the transfer gears wear a bit and create play. The gearset then moves backward under load and slams the spacer, and moves forward causing a slight mismesh and noise while backing off. This eventually work hardens the spacer and in my case it shattered. At that point spacer parts went through the rear bearing and into the gearset.This totally trashed gearset and rear bearing and actually locked the car up for a moment.

This is really no surprise to Subaru as there is a fix for it. You just install a thicker rear bearing and remove the spacer.

Now, $1700 poorer I know this. All I needed to do when I first heard the noise was pull off the tail and change to the thicker bearing, maybe $150.

Call Rudy at San Carlos transmission 650-622-9210. He fixed mine and perhaps he can point you in the right direction.

If you can get the car up on a lift and move a stethascope back and forth, if your noise is in the transfer case that may be the problem.