Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OEM Thermostat.... What a difference!!!

My heater core on my Loyale was clogged and its really getting cold here.... so I figured it was about time to fix it. So I tried the trick where you switch the heater core hoses and flush out the heater core... well that worked like a charm. Then I went ahead and flushed the whole system. Lastly, I finally put in that dealer OEM thermostat that I had bought this past summer. Wow!!! What a difference!! Before the temp gauge would go about halfway up before the thermostat would kick in... now just at a quarter of the way up.. and on top of all that, my heater is so hot and can't even keep it all the way up. Woohoo!!!

Mike, I have a cool-running 92 Loyale and I was about to do the reverse-flush thing as well as a system flush, but what's the deal with the thermostat? My temp gauge settles about 2 needles width off the cold mark and won't go higher, while my old EA81 would go to mid-point on the gauge and supply plenty of heat. wtf??

My old Loyales temp guage would barely move off the cold in the winter..but in the summer it would go to about 1/4..And still throw awesome heat...just one of thier quirks..My XT6..well who knows what temp thast thing runs...Used to run on the hot side ( according to the guage) pulled the t-stat..dropped to alittle below half..put an OEM t-stat in..back up to the hot side ( after flushing etc) I am going to put an aftermrket temp guage in it for my own piece of mind.

subaruguru..sounds like you have a clogged heater core.. try the reverse flush first..if nothing not to much comes out..try blowing compressed air through it..works great..did it on my old newspaper delivery Taurus and after had blazin heat

yeah thes old soobs are weird that way my 80 gl gose to half and sits there. you turn the heat on it dosent move but the hot air turns to cool air afterlike 5 seconds any one have an idea. i havent checked the thermo yet

This sounds like a clogged heater core, as bucky said, reverse the hoses, or just undo them both and take a garden hose, and run water back and forth through it, alternating in directions.

My old Loyales temp guage would barely move off the cold in the winter..but in the summer it would go to about 1/4..And still throw awesome heat...just one of thier quirks..

THIS sounds like a grounding issue with the gauge, behind the dashboard.. but THAT is a subject that I know nothing firsthand about, and haven't really read enough to feel confident in my "knowledge," but I would think this sounds about like that. Anything coming up that might involve an investigation under your dash, connie? In any case, relatively speaking the gauge is still probably reasonable, you just might want to consider the red zone to be a bit broader, just to be on the safe side.

Harbor freight tools has a sale on (i THINK its still on) that has a great price on their nicer infrared thermometer unit.. Those things make a GREAT tool for knowing the relative accuracy of your temp gauge, among other things.

yeah thes old soobs are weird that way my 80 gl gose to half and sits there. you turn the heat on it dosent move but the hot air turns to cool air afterlike 5 seconds any one have an idea. i havent checked the thermo yet

THis is exactley what my soob did before I cleaned out the thermostat. The car would be warm, I would turn on the heat.... and it would be hot for five seconds or so... then cold/lukewarm air. Sounds like the heater core to me.

THis is exactley what my soob did before I cleaned out the thermostat. The car would be warm, I would turn on the heat.... and it would be hot for five seconds or so... then cold/lukewarm air. Sounds like the heater core to me.

Sorry, made a mistake on the last post.... after I cleaned out the heater core.... thats what I meant to say... I don't think you can clean out a thermostat :lol:

• 1 year later...

good luck ben, that place is a joke, they will probably tell you your motor is blown....or if they get a chance, will make it become blown to sell you a car that they add money to the msrp.

they sometimes give the old radiator story too. "those radiators are about 600 retail, so we will charge the 575 to give you a deal"