Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 OBW 108K. My CEL has been intermittently coming on, so I had my mechanic pull the code today, with the CEL on. Result: "P0328 knock sens 1 high input." What does this mean? Has the knock sensor gone bad, or is it telling me something else? I had replaced the knock sensor about 10K ago, with an OEM one from the dealer, so I would be surprised if it had failed so soon. Is it possible I damaged it during installation? TIA.

check the torque on it first and check the connector making sure it's seated and not corroded or dirty. then remove and check it, looking for cracks. then reinstall at the proper torque making sure the threads are clean (they should be).

did you use a Subaru knock sensor?

They're nearly the same; probably just a conversion/rounding difference since soob seems to always list the main value in Newton-meters and then conversions to kilogram-meters and foot-pounds(force).

For '96 2.2L and 2.5L alldata says 17.3 ft-lb(f) +/- 2.1 ft-lb(f).

For '00 2.5L alldata says 17.4 ft-lb(f) +/- 2.2 ft-lb(f).

It is possible that you over tightened the bolt, which results in cracking the knock sensor unit.

When I installed a knock sensor on my 98 OBW, I couldn't figure out any way to tighten the bolt using a torque wrench, as I used a wobbler that kept wanting to slip off the bolt head. I just snugged the bolt up tight, but not super tight, and called the job done. I haven't had any trouble since.