Ultimate Subaru Message Board

W000000t!!!!!1 (pt. 2)

Sounds like a steal, although I wouldn't call an EA82 "modern". They aren't bad if in good shape though.

She's going to regret getting an Audi. Super expensive to maintain. I've worked on a lot of them as I have some crazy friends that keep buying the damn things used because they are so cheap. No resale value at all much like other european luxury brands. People in the market for them almost always buy new ones so there's no market at all.

GD

• 4 weeks later...
My coworker and friend told me that she's getting an Audi, and that she would sell me her EA82 wagon for.... $100! !

yea... she just probably spouted out a number not realizing her owner ...errrr... "husband" can't just let it go that cheap or after closing costs on her new car she figured every penney will cut the cost...,

so can't really hold someone to something they really had no idea they were talking about. It is kind of different if it is someone you don't know, but a co-worker adds a mix to the situation......were all human.

Well I rode my bike several miles in the freezing cold the other night to pick up the car. It runs pretty good, no TOD or rackety engine noise like my Loyale, 254K miles. They said it had a new axle, new t-belts, lots of new stuff. It needs a new stsrter now though, I'll try to get another tomorrow before I go to work. Pretty hard to start in the cold, not sure if the carb needs work or if a new battery and starter will solve that. I'll get some pics up, she's really clean inside and out.

I'm just going to use this thread for misc stuff rather than make new ones. I had trouble starting her again in the cold after work. I got the starter to turn over fine and she started and ran fine for a minute but then stalled and wouldn't restart. I figured pumping the gas a bunch of times and then waiting a few seconds for evaporation would do the trick but no. I gave up and rode home with the girlfriend. I'll be back in the morning.

This whole difficult cold starting thing has got me thinking about going SPFI/MPFI. I know MPFI offers better power, do you lose any mpgs? I don't care about hp much, but reliability is important to me as well as milage. How much work is involved in a fuel injection swap? Ever since owning a diesel, fuel injection isn't so frieghtening to me. I still don't know how gasoline injection works though, is it injected into the intake manifold above the valve during opening?

Oh, and I just bought a copy of HTKYSA!

Thanks dudes and ladies.

MPFI is just a much bigger headache for not very much, if any, gain. The gain is in the turbo system that usually (but not always) goes along with the MPFI system. SPFI is more common for parts, easier to work on, more reliable simply through having fewer components to fail, and above all else cheaper. The swap has been done several times, if not many, and is well documented.

This SPFI system is fantastic in its simplicity and functionality. It works well; more modern systems may reap minimal gains but for the simplicity versus performance tradeoff, it is hands down one of the better fuel systems this shadetree has ever worked on.

I'm just going to use this thread for misc stuff rather than make new ones. I had trouble starting her again in the cold after work. I got the starter to turn over fine and she started and ran fine for a minute but then stalled and wouldn't restart. I figured pumping the gas a bunch of times and then waiting a few seconds for evaporation would do the trick but no. I gave up and rode home with the girlfriend. I'll be back in the morning.

So when it gets cold out like freezing, you may want to check your fuel filters and see if there is water in them that is icing up and clogging at the filter. When it's warm it is thawed and gas is able to pass through, etc...why it might start up and run for a min...early morn/late eve., is all froze up again...hope this helps....:cool:

Hey Randall I think you're tight about the fuel filter. I got it to start today with starting fluid but when I gave it throttle it would'nt respond, so I think it's clogged with gunk. My dad is going to use his work van to pull it to my apt tomorrow where I can put a heater under it and work on the fuel lines.

Connie, what's a CTS? Does my car have one? Never heard of it

Mark, theres also the electric fuel pump to think about. Was this car being driven on a regular basis, like daily? You might try takin the fuel delivery line off the carb and seein if you get fuel delivery when you turn the key on...remember to catch the fuel, so you can see whats in it. My brat has 2 fuel filters, the 1st in line is under the car by the electric fuel pump and the 2nd is in the engine compartment. The 2nd one might give you a false visual reading as the first is the one thats clogged...and then theres the water settling in the tank on vehicles that don't get driven much and never filled up full...cold today,rc