Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81t maf options?

I thought I would ask if anyone has ever had experience modifying their ea81t maf to be able to be bolted up with a cone filter on the end? Also is there anyother maf type like the ea82t that could be adapted to be used with the ea81t ecu? I am not particularly fond of the limiting factors of the design of the configuration of the maf on the ea81t but I had a brain storm of what if's the other day and I just had to ask.

see if Shawn has any pics of the old black lifted turbo brat... it had a cone filter on it. I was making one identical to it for my blue turbo brat, but never completed it before I sold it....

I went through all my pics, and it looks like I never took a pic of the engine compartment.....

The EA81T MAF is the same as the 85-86 EA82T MAFs. They're both flappers and are interchangable.

Unfortunately, you can't adapt the newer hot wire style MAFs to the ECU. Hot wire MAFs work off of a totally different concept and the ECUs use completely different equations to calculate Mass Air.

There's nothing wrong per say with a flapper MAF. Its just not as accurate as a hot wire, limited by how far the flapper door can open, and relies on a separate temperature sensor for air temperature compensation.

And yeah Jerry, you can put a universal cone filter adapter from like Autozone onto the end of the MAF. Phil sold me one that I intend to put on my Turbo Wagon sometime.

The EA81T MAF is the same as the 85-86 EA82T MAFs. They're both flappers and are interchangable.

Unfortunately, you can't adapt the newer hot wire style MAFs to the ECU. Hot wire MAFs work off of a totally different concept and the ECUs use completely different equations to calculate Mass Air.

There's nothing wrong per say with a flapper MAF. Its just not as accurate as a hot wire, limited by how far the flapper door can open, and relies on a separate temperature sensor for air temperature compensation.

And yeah Jerry, you can put a universal cone filter adapter from like Autozone onto the end of the MAF. Phil sold me one that I intend to put on my Turbo Wagon sometime.

You want a wild idea?

280Z and ZXs also used a flapper-type AFM, and that AFM was the single greatest restriction point on the air intake. The throttle body, the manifold runners, and the AFM all were undersized by nissan (for economy and tuning purposes I guess?) In any case, a common upgrade for FI Z cars back in the day (before people really understood much about how to upgrade fuel injectied cars) was to take the AFM body from a toyota cressida, pull the guts out of it (meaning the circuit board) and replace those guts with the guts from the Nissan unit.. so that the larger flapper, in the larger housing, was turning the same potentiometer that came with the car.

This was just something that someone figured out one day, and it definitely makes an improvement. You have to properly calibrate the AFM afterwards, but its totally doable.

That might work Daeron, though I doubt the flapper MAF is much of a restriction on the EA81T. It flows pretty well and has a decent sized opening. On the EA81T, you're still stuck with those siamese intake ports.

My solution to rid myself of the MAF is to go Megasquirt. But that will have to wait until I can afford a DD as back up.