Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have done a search and I am not having much luck.

The auto parts guys(rocket scientists that they are) can't find the part # for the external trans filter for my 99 OBW. So without having to pull it off and match it up, does anyone have this part # in anything but Fram?

Thanks for your time,

Billy

The filter thread size and pitch are the same as the engine oil filter.

would this hold true for the 1990 external tranny filters as well??

Have a 90 LS wagon with the external tranny filter and would LOVE to give it a fluid & filter change but have not been able to find any part info....filter itself is in pretty rough shape so no numbers to be seen there.

[...]Have a 90 LS wagon with the external tranny filter and would LOVE to give it a fluid & filter change but have not been able to find any part info[...]
Scroll down and check the posts in the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this screen.

would this hold true for the 1990 external tranny filters as well??
No, that is only for the phase II 4EAT that has the spin on filter on the side of the trans case (or for H6 models remote mounted in the LH fender). Your '90 filter is more of a fuel filter looking item with hose barb connections.

Have a 90 LS wagon with the external tranny filter and would LOVE to give it a fluid & filter change but have not been able to find any part info....

Check this out: http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=10336

Thanks for the info. Mobil1 catalog listed 2 filters in there book so it is probably one of those. Also if the thread and pitch is the same i guess a regular oil filter can be used.

OB99W- thanks for the oem # as the parts guy at my dealership tried to give me the internal and had no idea what i was talking about. I could no longer read the # as the cv joint had given up a boot some time ago and the filter is illegible.

Thanks again,

Billy

<<would this hold true for the 1990 external tranny filters as well??

Have a 90 LS wagon with the external tranny filter and would LOVE to give it a fluid & filter change but have not been able to find any part info....filter itself is in pretty rough shape so no numbers to be seen there.>>

i have a few new OEM Subaru external tranny filters left. they fit the SVX and the Legacy. $15 shipped to the lower 48. pay-pal accepted. here is a pic:

transfiltersm.jpg

[...]Also if the thread and pitch is the same i guess a regular oil filter can be used.[...]
There's a reason for the substantial difference in price between engine oil filters and the trans filter (see http://www.subaruparts.com/catalog/?section=964). I'd sooner leave an old trans filter in place if it isn't damaged than use an engine filter.

OB99W- thanks for the oem #[...]
You're welcome.