Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Parts Required for Complete Timing Belt Change - '90 EJ22

What parts / seals / gaskets etc… would you replace when doing a timing belt replacement? I am looking for the definitive list on the parts to assemble for this job.

I asked a question last week about a complete kit for a timing belt change in a ’90 Subaru Legacy 2.2l engine ( http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81454 ). I have located a couple vendors but there seems to be a wide variety on what is included in a "complete kit”.

Timing belt kits seem to include –

1 Timing Belt

1 Tensioner Pulley

3 Idler Pulleys

Water Pump Kits seem to include water pump, gasket, and what appears to be the o-ring seal for the Thermostat. I will replace the thermostat at this time also...

Anything else I should replace while I am at it?

My intent is to do maintenance required while I am in there. Engine has 140k and maintenance history is unknown.

Thanks.

Anything else I should replace while I am at it?

There are a couple of small water hoses at the water pump that might need replacement, you won't be able to tell until you get in there, but now will be the time, I'm sure they will be difficult later. The same goes for camshaft seals.

@140k yours is a "spring chicken".

you have to piece it together essentially - i haven't found a perfect kit. for instance i typically order a timing belt "kit" - including timing belt, tensioner, timing belt pulleys. and then order everything else separately, like the water pump. as for the parts i'd replaced on a 140k 17 year old engine:

timing belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, cam seals, cam o-rings, crank seal (also the oil pump seal) and remove/reseal the oil pump.

the backing plate screws on the rear of the oil pump may back out, quite common on EJ engines. remove any loose screws and reinstall them with locktite.

i just did this last week, i found a timing belt "kit" and then ordered everything else from the dealer. the kit i found included the timing belt, pulleys, tensioner and water pump. it was good for EJ18 and EJ22, you could see if they have another kit available:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=220163948134

i saw two other listed for $110 (by domesticgaskets, though i think they only list it as for "EJ18") and $177 (by Timing Belt Kit Pro)