Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hopefully getting 30 mpg out of my coupe

With everything tuned right, and with a light foot, you should see 30+ mpg. I have noticed the biggest thing that effects the mpg in my wagon is flooring it to get up to speed. And 45 psi:eek: is way to much air in the tires! When they get hot going down the road, they might just let loose on you. Having a tire blow out from too much pressure running 40+mph ain't no fun!! 35 is the absolute max you should run in the tires on these cars.

175/70-13 tires area pretty much exactly the same diameter as 155/80-13's. Maybe even a hair smaller.

The narrow tire will help reduce fuel consumption. So keep them!

165/80-13's are bigger diameter, but you won't save enough gas to make buying new tires worthwhile. If the tires are shot, maybe consider replacing with this size - if you can find them.

It is possible to crank up the timing about 2 degrees without any problem. Follow the procedure for setting it, but set it at 22-23 deg instead of 20. I found it helped mileage on the highway.

Well, after all this discussion about my coupe, I might end up not fixing it. I might be getting a wagon from all_talk. But this isn't for sure, I still need to test drive it and see how everything is. I'm sorry to all those who posted because you may think it was a waste of your time, seens how I might not fix my coupe. But I know I'll definately apply all of what all of you said to the wagon (if I get it). This may sound like a boo-hoo post, but it's not, because Im kinda glad for everything that is happening. I'll keep everyone updated as it progresses. Thank you all very much, I appreciate it greatly :)

And 45 psi:eek: is way to much air in the tires! When they get hot going down the road, they might just let loose on you. Having a tire blow out from too much pressure running 40+mph ain't no fun!! 35 is the absolute max you should run in the tires on these cars.

It's true that 45 psi can be dangerous IF your tires aren't in good condition, however, I have been running a minimum of 40 psi for the last 3 years with NO problems. The ride is rougher but it does decrease rolling resistance. Experienced tire men will tell you off the record that 40 to 45 psi is safe. Traction is decreased however due to less footprint. On the website Hypermiling at http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/articles/t-beating-the-epa-the-whys-and-how-to-hypermile-1510.html they suggest inflating tires to over 50 psi.

40 psi is like 2,7 bar right?

that's nothing for a car tire, I run mine all day long at 2,5 bar, and when tires are mounted on the rim, they use in excess of 5 bar (that's 70 psi) and are just fine afterwards

no, I'm not saying you should run with 70psi in your tires, but 40 psi is no problem at all. Do realize though, if you live in an area where the outside temperatures are higher, your tires warm up quicker and get hotter and thus tire pressure increases, keep that in mind.

Do realize though, if you live in an area where the outside temperatures are higher, your tires warm up quicker and get hotter and thus tire pressure increases, keep that in mind.

It's true that high temperatures will raise the air pressure in tires, however, running higher pressures than normal decreases tire squirm and flexing thus causing the tires to run cooler with LESS increase in tire pressure.