Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hatch ride height.

SuperNova

I was reading the sales brochure on my 87 hatch and it mentions front and rear suspension ride height adjustments. I wanted to know how exactly you can adjust the ride height. And whats the amount it can be adjusted, 1''?, 2''? or whatever.

Under the bottom of the back seat, right in the center, there should be a rubber plug. Pull it out and there's actually a bolt down there on the rear torsion bar tube to adjust the rear torsion bar ride height. In the front, the adjustments will be on the base of the spring perches on the bottom of the coils.

are you able to do that on any other subaru

Ben

Some early EA82's had the same setup on the front, and in the back the coil-over's shock tube had an adjustable sleeve that you can turn for height adjustment - it's got three "clicks". Subaru made a special tool for it, but a rag and a pair of channel-locks will do it too.

That was only on 85 and 86 4WD's though I think. Later models were fixed with no adjustment.

Aftermarket coil-overs and strut's don't generally have the adjusment's unless you can source NOS Monroe's - but they aren't made anymore.

GD

Some early EA82's had the same setup on the front, and in the back the coil-over's shock tube had an adjustable sleeve that you can turn for height adjustment - it's got three "clicks". Subaru made a special tool for it, but a rag and a pair of channel-locks will do it too.

That was only on 85 and 86 4WD's though I think. Later models were fixed with no adjustment.

Aftermarket coil-overs and strut's don't generally have the adjusment's unless you can source NOS Monroe's - but they aren't made anymore.

GD

So is the Subaru sales brochure wrong?

So is the Subaru sales brochure wrong?

No - you have an EA81. Hatchbacks and Brats were made till 89 and 87 respectively. You suspension is fully adjustable. I was simply answering the question posted about EA82's.

Your EA81, as stated, is adjustable.

However, since I'm posting anyway, I'll state that suspention isn't your problem. Your exhaust is cooking the boot on the passenger side. That's a known problem. I sugest you check your fuel mixture as your cat is probably overheating. Also the heat shield is in place right? You can always gut your cat to keep the heat down. It's also possible that the quality of the MWE boots isn't all that good. But I have no direct experience with that. I know the GCK boots are extremely thick.

GD

No - you have an EA81. Hatchbacks and Brats were made till 89 and 87 respectively. You suspension is fully adjustable. I was simply answering the question posted about EA82's.

Your EA81, as stated, is adjustable.

However, since I'm posting anyway, I'll state that suspention isn't your problem. Your exhaust is cooking the boot on the passenger side. That's a known problem. I sugest you check your fuel mixture as your cat is probably overheating. Also the heat shield is in place right? You can always gut your cat to keep the heat down. It's also possible that the quality of the MWE boots isn't all that good. But I have no direct experience with that. I know the GCK boots are extremely thick.

GD

If i gutted my cat or had a new exhaust built with 1.75'' inch tubing and eliminated the cat with an O2 bung welded on would i have a problem wit the O2 sensor? Would i have to change to a heated O2 sensor?

No - your O2 is strictly for mixture control. It reads before the cat. Being you are in CA you might have issue with the test station, but the car will run no different.

GD

Awesome! So back to ride height adjustment, i tried loosening the bolt under my back seat for the rear and it started to back out. Is there a certain procedure for adjusting it? And does the front adjust with the 2 nuts under the spring buckets? I want to lower the height a little bit.

Awesome! So back to ride height adjustment, i tried loosening the bolt under my back seat for the rear and it started to back out. Is there a certain procedure for adjusting it? And does the front adjust with the 2 nuts under the spring buckets? I want to lower the height a little bit.

If it started to back out, then it's all the way down already.

As for the front, raising the spring perches with the nuts will give about 1" additional lift. If they are all the way down already (no visible threads under the nuts) then they are already on their lowest setting.

GD

If it started to back out, then it's all the way down already.

As for the front, raising the spring perches with the nuts will give about 1" additional lift. If they are all the way down already (no visible threads under the nuts) then they are already on their lowest setting.

GD

Cool, thanks for the info. I cant wait to try it out when i get my new axle back from MWE.

• 4 months later...

The stock height adjusters gave me about 2 1/2 inches height when combined with slightly taller tires! The adjustments allowed me to put on some bigger snow tires from another car without out suffering any rubbing! I never knew that these could be adjusted until I found this thread, and it's really easy to do.

Lift_Front.gif

First the front, you will need a 21mm open ended wrench as listed above. These nuts are located directly on the struts.

Lift_Rear.gif

Next the rear, you will need a 19mm socket with extension, or you can just grab your tire iron like I did. This is located under the rear seat, just remove the rubber access cover donut.

Lift_Both.gif

Finally I played with rear adjuster to make the Subaru sit flat. A must for those of us that don't like the stock "butt in the air stance"! Total this takes about 30 minutes with tire swap. Also I already took on a few hill climbs that the stock ride height previously unable approach. :popcorn:

A must for those of us that don't like the stock "butt in the air stance"! Total this takes about 30 minutes with tire swap. Also I already took on a few hill climbs that the stock ride height previously unable approach. :popcorn:

Adjusting the front up like that will throw the camber way off and will wear the tires out very quickly. It's a poor option for added height unless you combine it with 1" lift blocks on the engine cross-member.

GD

For those of us that actually drive our cars off cliffs, we don't really give a care. Considering the conditions, poor tire wear and camber don't really matter much whilst running over logs. I do not drive EA-81 for its amazing street performance.

For those of us that actually drive our cars off cliffs, we don't really give a care. Considering the conditions, poor tire wear and camber don't really matter much whilst running over logs. I do not drive EA-81 for its amazing street performance.

Camber isn't an issue off-road.

Getting to/from the "off-road" is generally paved.

Large/agressive tires are expensive.

You'll not get more than about 10,000 miles out of a tire run with camber like that.

If you like buying tires then go ahead - doesn't bother me any.

Anyway - you do the math on what works for you. I've experienced this many times and I know what works and doesn't. I've cranked up/down more struts than I care to remember and it's not bad off-road. But you have to put them back down for pavement or you pay the piper.

None of this is anything new - do some searches and you'll see. The folks such as myself that own lifted rigs have been doing this sort of thing for a while now.

GD

Camber isn't an issue off-road.

Getting to/from the "off-road" is generally paved.

Large/agressive tires are expensive.

You'll not get more than about 10,000 miles out of a tire run with camber like that.

If you like buying tires then go ahead - doesn't bother me any.

Anyway - you do the math on what works for you. I've experienced this many times and I know what works and doesn't. I've cranked up/down more struts than I care to remember and it's not bad off-road. But you have to put them back down for pavement or you pay the piper.

None of this is anything new - do some searches and you'll see. The folks such as myself that own lifted rigs have been doing this sort of thing for a while now.

GD

Last time I looked this thread was about adjusting you ride height, I put some, nice pictures up there to show everyone how to do it (since I "did some searches" and couldn't find them on here nice and neat with pictures for hatch) Camber, as well as tire wear was already mentioned by you earlier. Also it is even noted in Subaru manual... stop making this personal... about how you don't care about my tires or wallet... or how many cool lifted rigs you've got or had. Seriously your not helping me or anyone at all. I've owned every year of Subaru hatchback EA-81 d/r made including 1 1981 EA-71, and I've built up 3 1800 engines. So does that information help anyone adjusting their ride height? No it doesn't, I'm not hear to be in a pissing contest with you. :-\

Also it is even noted in Subaru manual...

Then you admit were irresponsible in not telling potential readers of your post that this will affect their camber and cause premature tire wear?

Tire wear and money may not mean much to you, but what about your intended audience?

You want all the glory for some pretty pictures without any of the dirty laundry associated with your "procedure".

That's not a good impression to make with only 10 posts to your name. Next time tell the whole story or let someone else tell it.

GD

Then you admit were irresponsible in not telling potential readers of your post that this will affect their camber and cause premature tire wear?

Tire wear and money may not mean much to you, but what about your intended audience?

You want all the glory for some pretty pictures without any of the dirty laundry associated with your "procedure".

That's not a good impression to make with only 10 posts to your name. Next time tell the whole story or let someone else tell it.

GD

Man I've read a great deal of your post, some of them helpful some of them are just plain mean and snobby. Like I said before tire wear and camber were already mentioned. I put my pictures up here to help people interested in the procedure, after searching the forums seeing that they were not already shown. They are here to help people interested in adjusting their ride height. The number of posts I have doesn't mean anything, my other name on here MrFishums has 232, sorry but I lost my password and have had no luck at getting it back. Were the pictures not helpful? Stop making it personal Next time just say something like, "bad for camber" "bad for tires" Commenting on my money, and my tires, myself, doesn't help anyone or accomplish anything subaru other than making people angry.

Peace, Fish

PS: and yes ADMINS PLEASE HELP!

I have a hatch that will be used mostly for offroad but with onroad ventures. and I appreciate knowing both how to adjust my ride height on the fly (something I cant yet do on my Bug) and that doing so will cause premature wear and therefore $$$. So yeah! :clap: thanks to all parties, this should be a sticky!