Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 92 subaru has a rather persistant water leak on or close to the bottom of the water pump gasket. It all started when the car got overheated and the leak appeared. To fix it I remove the water pump and replaced the gasket. Gasket was coated with copper cote and went on perfectly. After reasemling the car an filling it with antifreeze the leak appeared again in the same place. Has anyone ever had this probem? Can it be related to a part other than the water pump? Please let me know if anyone can help.

It all started when the car got overheated and the leak appeared.
Yes that often spells disaster for a water pump's seal esp if it has miles on it.

The gasket needs no dressing/rtv/sealant. Are you sure the mating surface to the block is clean and not knicked or gouged? Was an OEM water pump used?

Yes that often spells disaster for a water pump's seal esp if it has miles on it.

The gasket needs no dressing/rtv/sealant. Are you sure the mating surface to the block is clean and not knicked or gouged? Was an OEM water pump used?

The surface was cleaned and perfectly smooth. I only used the copper cote to make sure it would seal good. Water pump was OEM with 40 k miles on it. Are there any other gaskets in this area that could leak?

Are there any other gaskets in this area that could leak?
Are you seeing coolant leaking from the bottom of the timing belt cover? Only other coolant things in that area are maybe the coolant bypass return to water pump hose, thermostat housing, lower rad hose... There is at least one block plug for coolant in that area - any leaks from there? It's the large plug in the bottom of the block where you would put a block heater.

make sure it's not coming from the weep hole in the water pump. it's hard to see with the pump in the car, and when it's leaking, many times it will look like it's coming from the water pump mating surface or the thermostat area. you'll have to look up into the little pocket behind the water pump, behind the timing conver.

waterpump2.jpg

if the weep hole is leaking, the pump is dieing...replace it before it siezes the bearing and throws the timing belt (not to mention loss of coolant).

~Erik~