Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej-22 WHAT YEAR IS BEST

woundedbrat

You can install the 96 adjustable roller rockers on any of the motors...a nice upgrade. Send those cams off to Delta to have a grind put on and these EJ22's really move the car nicely. I believe I had them do the mild "220" on my vanagon and I love it.

what years came with roller rockers ? and were the adjustable ones different than others I have a 95 2.2 legacey with the auto tranny would this have roller rockers?. adjustible? ???

BUMP!

Well as far as the 90 and 91 (correct me if i'm wrong) They had issues with # 4 cylinder wall. I've seen them run 250 plus k miles. But if you get bubbles in your cooling system after service of some sort. then you have issues. They machined the cylinder wall to thin. In the water jacket on number 4, against the back side of the cylinder wall. They had to recess it all the way down to make room to get one of the block bolts in. If you get air bubbles, well kiss that block goodbye. not always, but was an issue. On the contrary, i have a 91 220k almost ready to drop in my 84 brat. I still have faith. But there were issues. The 92 thru 94 were bullet proof in esscence. Always strong runners. As far as the 2.5s go. Not one of my favorites. You are asking for a burnt #4 exhaust valve occasionally later on in life. Or occasionally rod knocks or exessive piston slap. Not to mention the expensive valve cover fix and pain in the rump roast spark plug replacement. Still easier to work on than a lot of cars out there. i have a 99 OB with 119k and rod knock. Just had a 96 OB with 220 on it with Burnt ex valve yesterday. They can run good and last long, or the other. The 2.2 though is by far the better, even considering the power difference. We do 2.5 to 2.2 conversions all the time in a lot of these OB. good luck though.:-\

Thanks, What do you know about turbo EJ22's? I've got the EA motors all figured out and I'm running outta questions on N/A EJ's but now I'm curious about turbo EJ's now. So is there a power gain goin to an interference motor? So far I'm planin on a turbo 95' 2.2 with an OBD 1 harness in my 89' off roader. I hope to build up a bullet proof 150~170hp and I'm wanna get the best platform to build up. Delta has EJ22 cams right? what'll those do with a healthy turbo motor?