Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej-22 WHAT YEAR IS BEST

woundedbrat

HAVE DONE THE SEARCH AND JUST NEED VERIFICATION 90-96 ej22 are non interference, newer models are interference. I take this to mean that compression is higher or valve travel greater so that if T belt breaks piston hits valve and bingo bango bent valve or worse is this correct. Also ea 82 front control arm how much longer than ea 81 front control arm ?

very true.....my timing belt slipped a few months back....and i thought my engine was done.....than i saw i had a 2.2...THANK GOD!....yes the 2.2 Liters are non interference and the SOHC 2.5 Liters are (the valves hit the piston) and the DOHC 2.5 Liters are (the valves hit the valves)....

• 1 month later...

I've got a question about the EJ22 that relates to this thread's title. Isn't every year of the Gen 1 EJ22 the same? any variance from one to the other? Why did this dude say he needs one after 92? I just wanna know cause I'm also lookin for one. Knowledge is Power.Thanks.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/wan/525788984.html

up to 1994 would work fine, a 1995+ would require some tweaking but would work as well.

with any motor swap there could be minor differences there are LOTS OF GRAY AREAS with motor swaps...questions like "what year is best" is are really vague. the best year is the same exact engine you got. the perfect easy swap is the same exact year, make ,model, transmission as your vehicle. 1994 EJ22's are not identical in every way to 1995...but THEN AGAIN - in 1995 there are two different configurations...EGR and non-EGR equipped. autos=EGR and manuals=no EGR. then in 1996 they have a single port exhaust where the 1995 has a dual port. then in 97 they go to interference...these are all minor issues and can be worked around though. but it's always easiest to get the exact same engine, model, make, trans, etc. many look-up places, junk yards, mechanics and such do not know all the intricate details to know if it's just something minor to make it work or something much more sinister.

so...depends what you're doing which one is best.

I've got a question about the EJ22 that relates to this thread's title. Isn't every year of the Gen 1 EJ22 the same? any variance from one to the other? Why did this dude say he needs one after 92? I just wanna know cause I'm also lookin for one. Knowledge is Power.Thanks.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/wan/525788984.html

the OBD I motors are physically identicaly, and the OBD II ones are slightly different. but the biggest difference is the engine wiring harness (the one under the intake mani). the style and number of plugs between the engine harness and body harness changed numerous times, and the plugs are in a completely different place on the OBD II ones.

So, I've gotta find a 95' motor and run OBD 1 stuff from a 94' and earlier EJ22. Gotcha:rolleyes: Still thinkin about the craigslist post:confused: he said no 90'-91 but he'll only take 92 or later.......hmmmm.....

meh, getting parts from multiple cars is overkill. that would be the nicest combo, but the OBD I motors are still great (my '92 EJ22e has 260k miles), and the OBD II wiring isn't that terrible to work with.

also, the only difference between the 90-91 motors and the 92-94 ones are the shape of the engine harness plugs.

meh, getting parts from multiple cars is overkill. that would be the nicest combo, but the OBD I motors are still great (my '92 EJ22e has 260k miles), and the OBD II wiring isn't that terrible to work with.

also, the only difference between the 90-91 motors and the 92-94 ones are the shape of the engine harness plugs.

I thought there was something about the 90 and maybe 91, and bending the crank....

I think 92/3/4 are the best.

90 and 91 have an awful IAC valve that fails more often.

95 has the OBDII system and sometimes EGR.

You can install the 96 adjustable roller rockers on any of the motors...a nice upgrade. Send those cams off to Delta to have a grind put on and these EJ22's really move the car nicely. I believe I had them do the mild "220" on my vanagon and I love it.

Idle Air Control. I donno about a better one, but I do know they're easy to take apart and clean. I've fixed a bunch on everything but Subaru's "I'm new" and the only problem I've ever seen is they stick and don't open/close properly causing a rough, high or no idle. Her's a link with a cool picture.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h60.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

You can install the 96 adjustable roller rockers on any of the motors...a nice upgrade. Send those cams off to Delta to have a grind put on and these EJ22's really move the car nicely. I believe I had them do the mild "220" on my vanagon and I love it.

what years came with roller rockers ? and were the adjustable ones different than others I have a 95 2.2 legacey with the auto tranny would this have roller rockers?. adjustible? ???

I for one like OBD2... I have a '00 EJ25 in my Rx, and yes it takes more sensors to run... kinda. I left out a bunch, and the thing still runs. Plus I can hook a scan tool up to it and read out the codes nice and neat. I can also datastream it and it's just easier to find out what's wrong.

As far as wiring goes, It's not that many more wires... about 9 or so to the plug and maybe 30 overall more then OBD1... but once you're at that point, what's fifty more wires?:grin:

Alright, What about for the most power, Including Turbos. Besides the super expensive new motors, Are the EJ25's worth the extra few bucks? Is there a power differance between interference/non interferance engines?

holy open-ended question batman!!!

there's no one-size-fits-all motor out there, if there was, it would be way more expensive. there are tons of options, they're all good....

holy open-ended question batman!!!

there's no one-size-fits-all motor out there, if there was, it would be way more expensive. there are tons of options, they're all good....

+1

Very open question... and politics might be safer:-p

I recommend the EJ25 engine, I have one in my Rx. Some people will call this engine "trash" or a "different headgasket problem". I haven't had any issues with mine and the fuel milage and power I think are worth it.