Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TD04 swap questions

simple monkey

so with the holiday season right around the corner, i was looking to swap a td04 onto my rx. i have most of my exhaust figured out, except for the manifold. i know there is the common method people use of welding the new flange on top of the stock one. but in this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72569&page=2&highlight=td04+drill

its mentioned that you can just elongate the one hole that is off. has anyone every tried this?

its only 1/4" that needs to be drilled or so.

looking forward to what you all have to say.

i would highly reccomend getting a custom manifold made up for the td04, it would also help to raise the tubo up a little bit and move it backward about an inch past the stock location. i found that if you try to mount it in the stock turbo location, there are a few bits that get in the way. mainly the transmission.

DSCF0308.jpg

DSCF0335.jpg

that was my set up, worked well with the stock intake manifold and the spyder manifold in the pics.

i would highly reccomend getting a custom manifold made up for the td04, it would also help to raise the tubo up a little bit and move it backward about an inch past the stock location. i found that if you try to mount it in the stock turbo location, there are a few bits that get in the way. mainly the transmission.

:confused:

Only thing that got in the way of mine was the throttle cable. My TD04 sat less than 3/8 inch above the stock location. And thats only because I welded the TD04 flange flush to the top of the stocker.

The throttle cable wouldn't have even been an issue had I used the spider intake on the original install.

I now have a 16G in its place. It fits just fine too.

Here it is with a top mount.

PICT2189.JPG

The piping was crude, but effective. It is in process of being redone. The previous install used something more similar to the stock wrx piping between the turbo and the IC. That fit pretty well too.

hmmm, thats odd, maybe my car was cursed or something. idk, when i mounted the turbo to the stock manifold, pulled the stud and welded it back where it was needed, the top of the trans was in the way of the turbo outlet. just barely. i remember that it was a pain to get things liined up right.

granted, in the pics i posted, the first one is with the manifold that i tried to build myself, the second on was after i had a local shop build it. rotating the turbo slightly made it really easy to work on and route the plumbing. the downpipe was from an ebay turboback that i got for my car, listed for the wrx/sti. but the dp had to be lengthend about three inches and the top section rotated to match the turbo.

it was an ebay special 4" bellmouth into a full 3" all the way back. took some work to get it to fit, but it was worth it.

here is alink the an ebay auction selling the same kit that i used on mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-06-WRX-STI-UP-PIPE-3-STAINLESS-DOWNPIPE-CATBACK_W0QQitemZ120193911265QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120193911265

good luck and take lots of pics of your progress.

it was an ebay special 4" bellmouth into a full 3" all the way back. took some work to get it to fit, but it was worth it.

here is alink the an ebay auction selling the same kit that i used on mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-06-WRX-STI-UP-PIPE-3-STAINLESS-DOWNPIPE-CATBACK_W0QQitemZ120193911265QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120193911265

good luck and take lots of pics of your progress.

do u have picts of it mounted on the car?

I used to live in Maryland a long time ago..

do u have picts of it mounted on the car?

I used to live in Maryland a long time ago..

where in md were you living?

actually, i do:grin:

DSCF0329.jpg

or as connie (bucky92) says, its a maxwell house coffee can on there, :lol:

hey, i just noticed that the bumper of my impreza is in that pic, haha, i need sleep.

where in md were you living?

actually, i do:grin:

DSCF0329.jpg

or as connie (bucky92) says, its a maxwell house coffee can on there, :lol:

hey, i just noticed that the bumper of my impreza is in that pic, haha, i need sleep.

I used to live in Kensington near the Mormon temple, just outside the beltway and near Rock Creek Park. 20895 ;-) funny how I can still remember the zip code..

That looks freaking awesome..!:slobber: :slobber:

What modifications did you have to make to get it fitting? How does it Sound?

Kaz

That looks freaking awesome..!:slobber: :slobber:

What modifications did you have to make to get it fitting? How does it Sound?

Kaz

i know that the hangers had to be relocated and i think a few spots needed a slight bend added to em. the down pipe had to be lengthend about 3", but that was causeof my turbo mounting.

basically, i just took it to my local subaru tuning shop, talked to the guy that runs the place and said that id like it to fit the car a bit better.

Do you have any ground clearance issues with that setup? Is your car still stock height?

Your exhaust has gotten my attention. I would be curious to see if I could make something similar work on my car, but don't want to go back to dragging rump roast every time I get within 1/2 mile of a speedbump.

Do you have any ground clearance issues with that setup? Is your car still stock height?

Your exhaust has gotten my attention. I would be curious to see if I could make something similar work on my car, but don't want to go back to dragging rump roast every time I get within 1/2 mile of a speedbump.

i never did bottom out on speed bumps, that last flange is just before the axle. the only issue was that it was the lowest place on the car uner the axle and i had to be careful of rocks and potholes when i went to the mountians.

it is at stock height with 15" pugs and 205-50-15 nitto tires. rarely ever had any issues with ground clearance, then again, it was usually all about picing a line when in places that could be an issue.

i was thinking about trying to get something like the perrin twin turbe exhaust for getting under the axle, that way instead of one large pipe hanging down, there would be two smaller pipes side by side under the axle into a collector attached to the muffler. that way, could also opt to run the pipes over the axle, i think anything less than 2" will fit without hittingthe axle like my old 2.5" exhaust did. not sure if ill have another rx or not, but if i do, i think ill try it out. the brat is going to have different exhaust when i am done.

what do you guys think of that?

i never did bottom out on speed bumps, that last flange is just before the axle. the only issue was that it was the lowest place on the car uner the axle and i had to be careful of rocks and potholes when i went to the mountians.

it is at stock height with 15" pugs and 205-50-15 nitto tires. rarely ever had any issues with ground clearance, then again, it was usually all about picing a line when in places that could be an issue.

i was thinking about trying to get something like the perrin twin turbe exhaust for getting under the axle, that way instead of one large pipe hanging down, there would be two smaller pipes side by side under the axle into a collector attached to the muffler. that way, could also opt to run the pipes over the axle, i think anything less than 2" will fit without hittingthe axle like my old 2.5" exhaust did. not sure if ill have another rx or not, but if i do, i think ill try it out. the brat is going to have different exhaust when i am done.

what do you guys think of that?

Thanks for the info.

You're right that anything over 2 inches over the axle can be tricky. I have 2.5 right now and it fits over the axle without rubbing or banging, but it took a couple tries to get it just right.

I have access to a MillTek 3 inch STi exhaust. I have been hesitant to hack it up to fit the wagon because of the whole over the axle issue. I am currently lower than stock and will probably go a touch lower before all is done. Its good to know you made it work though. I will definitely keep that in mind when it is time to upgrade from my 2.5

yeah, if i get another ea82t equiped car, i am going to try out my idea of running the twin tube bit over the rear axle but keep it 3" from the turbo to that point, and then ill have just a regular 3" performance muffler after the axle. im sure its doable, just need to find the time to try it, and a car to try it on.

getting this thread back on topic.

ive decided to take this route and upgrade this week, as my std vf4 ************ed itself on sunday. ive searched and read most threads on this forum about this upgrade. theres a couple questions ive got tho.

what has to be done about the oil and coolant lines? i think the coolant ones just need to be extended but not sure.

i plan on getting a flange made up and new thicker, longer pipe made for my stocko up pipe.

and get the flange changed on my downpipe. an exhaust shop should be able to make this up without the proper flange in their hands yeah?

ill let ya know how i go

matt

oo i should of thought of the blow torch sittin in my shed. too late now got lots of hose n stuff to make it all fit. i now have wrx up and down pipes to grind for extentions and flanges and i have clocked the compressor housing so it points up now. - full write up soon