Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wont shift to OD when cold??

Hi all, have a question about my "new" to me 1990 Legacy LS Wagon...

with the colder weather lately I have found that the 4EAT in this car wont shift into OverDrive when it is cold - once it warms up good (ie: driving 5+ miles) it will finally kick in to OD and will operate fine the rest of the day.

No other problems, only that first few miles of the day in cold temps (everything was perfect all summer, no shifting issues). Shifting is very smooth otherwise - barely noticeable shifts. Fluid level checks fine.

Is this something I should be concerned about?? or am I being a little paranoid?? (havent had an auto tranny car in YEARS!!)

oh yeah, car has 163K on the clock - no real history on it - bought it cheap with blown air struts...also has the external tranny filter that is probably original...should probably get that changed...

Thanks in advance!

Hi all, have a question about my "new" to me 1990 Legacy LS Wagon...

with the colder weather lately I have found that the 4EAT in this car wont shift into OverDrive when it is cold - once it warms up good (ie: driving 5+ miles) it will finally kick in to OD and will operate fine the rest of the day.

No other problems, only that first few miles of the day in cold temps (everything was perfect all summer, no shifting issues). Shifting is very smooth otherwise - barely noticeable shifts. Fluid level checks fine.

Is this something I should be concerned about?? or am I being a little paranoid?? (havent had an auto tranny car in YEARS!!)

oh yeah, car has 163K on the clock - no real history on it - bought it cheap with blown air struts...also has the external tranny filter that is probably original...should probably get that changed...

Thanks in advance!

I read (here?) that there's an OD lockout on some of these auto trans to get the engine warmed up faster- engine warms up, then it allows it into OD.

Dave