Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What To Do

Ive been give 150 bucks for christmas and i am debating on what to do with it. Im going to throw a andrew jackson to heartless cuz i oweher but the rest im puzzled. I have a cv shaft going out on my drivers side so im getting one of those reguardless butt........... Since there haveing that sale on gck axels im wondering if i shouldnt just get one for the other side as well while there on sale and i have the money. Im probally going to be replaceing some wheel bearings too but i dont know. I could save the xtra money for something else but since its free money and i need my car to work for me it makes sence to invest in its future. Any advise would be great.

Ben

Fix the axle..how bad is the other side? how bad is the wheel bearing? Anything else it is needed?? You do want to put this money into the car right?

determine whats the worst for wear and go from there.Guido will appreciate the pampering and pay you back by taking care of you;)

Lets face it a subaru is no sports car. She aint no ws6 trans am. But i was passin every high dollar suv during the ice storm:banana:

But yes im going to keep it. If the engine blows ill get another, tranny same thing. Only if the body rusts away will i get rid of it. But then ill just get another suburu like this and take the good parts off of this one. The passanger side cvshaft is fine, no noises.

No the wheel bearings arent howling but i believe that side is the one that my brother hasnt changed yet and since the darn thing was going to be apart anyways i figured y not. That is what ive always done. Maybe its bad but if im going to do one thing i might as well do it all. I hardly ever just change brake pads. If its the first time ive worked on the brakes on my car i replace everything i can pads, rotor, gear u name it. I figured since i had the ball joint and the cvshaft to do on that side i might as well do the bearings as well. And for alittle xtra practice and piece of mind just go ahead and do the other side that way i know the front end is in tip top shape.

I would love to buy a cd player for my car. Maybe new speakers but those arent going to do me any good if the darn thing leaves me beside the road. If anything thats the first to get riped off.

Then give yourself peace of mind:grin: ;)

Also..a suggestion...when you are ready for a new CD player..I can recomend the Sony X Plode...Bucky had one..which was stolen to put in Rocky..so many of my friends have them ..all for the same reason..sound good...hold up well...aux port in the front ..and cheap ( Mine was $89 at Wally World)

And yes I had fun today coming home ( cept for the fact it took 2 and a half hours when it usually takes alittle over 1)...passing all the Beemers and Mercedes..and one of those funky looking Audi coupe things...in my little Imp...just chugging right through...radio cranked..singing..lalala..while they had the death grip on the steering wheel.

if you're wondering what to do with $50, don't fix something unless it's broke.

as a matter of fact - don't fix either axle unless it's starting to vibrate or it's really, really bad. i've put 50,000+ miles on front axles that were clicking (and 100,000 on rears with busted boots). depends what they put on your roads how long they will last. WV where they dump coal on the roads...about 1 month. down south where they put nothing...they'll last years if you keep them out of the sand (off the beach). had good luck in MD too.

clicking - no big deal, stuff 34 cents worth of grease up there every now and again.

vibrating - that's bad, fix it tomorrow.

make good financial decisions now, particularly with cars, you'll thank yourself later. there's hundreds of people on this board that wish they would have taken that advice at some time in their past, here's your chance!

well there are certain repairs that need to be made. The ball joint is going out on that side. I just figured with it apart go ahead and go crazy. I guess i was just trying to capitalize on a product that was on sale is all. Honestly if i keep the money i might just buy garbage with it. At least if i bought the axels when they did go out i wouldnt half to be stuck with finding the money then.

As far as vibrating i dont know. I swear when im turning and i go from 1st to second feels like either the engine is gonna jump out of the car or the front end is gonna jump off the car.

Needs to be roadtested buy a suburu guy who can sence what is troubling the car.

Ben

Get together with McBrat and have him look the car over carefully, I am sure he can help you determine what absolutely needs to be done to keep Guido on the road.

Get your drivetrain and suspension issues sorted out now and you should have many years of faithful, reliable service from your car.

Personally, if I am changing something steering related on one side, I generally change the other side just for piece of mind and not having to worry about things going south later (usually when i dont have the funds to fix!) I feel that if you only change one side you are putting unnecessary stress on both the new and old parts - the old side will fail fairly fast, and the new side will fail sooner than it would have had you replaced both sides at once - kind of a vicious circle. By replacing both sides at the same time you get optimum wear from all components. This is just my opinion - other's opinions may vary.

As for a CD player - I can second Connie's suggestion of the Sony X-plod systems - I also had one until it got fried by a soda spill on the dash - liquid leaked down thru the crack between the dash panels and onto the back of the stereo - arrrggg :mad:

Good luck with Guido!

For head unit i think ill go for

whatever name brand is cheepest. Other then dual.

How about speakers what size are the ones in the door. 6 or 6 1/2

but again this is all speculation because i need car parts first and foremost.

Yea Mcbrat is going to help me with the balljoints and i guess i assume its going to be both sides:) i guess well see what happens. IM going to put the money into my car there are no 2 ways about it. At the very least ill get 1 cv shaft that way ill be prepaired when one goes bad on the front. Probally try to straighten out the 4wd system. Maybe buy a muffler ohh that would be nice. West Des Moines folks dont like loud subie.

Ben

for a cheap and easy muffler get a Cherry bomb - they age nicely to a sweet low rumble and on a Sube it has a very distinctive sound. a little louder than most going down the highway, but not ridiculous. had one on Brumhilda and she sounded good! :grin: 2" inlet/outlet will slip right over your existing pipes - think mine was 16" long...

The speakers in the door...sheesh cant remember the exact measurements, but they are an odd size - i went to Best Buy to get a pair for the doors...cost a little more than most cheapies, but were a direct replacement. But this was several years ago too...