Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PLEASE HELP! What is this noise? (Listen)***UPDATE FIXED**

Other symptoms are vibration and a lot of resistance, like I am towing another car. That noise appears when the car warms up a bit. Seems to be from the middle? The first part was recorded at about 1,000rpm 10-20mph with little or no throttle. The second half was at about 15-25mph. The noise is there through most of the driving range. It goes away with heavy acceleration. This is not your average noise it seems to be driveline related. I have a fews ideas but want to see what you guys think. Thanks for your help.

mp3-749KB

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jc8e2t

Thanks, I will check that out. Anybody else have any ideas? Even if you don't listen to the clip...what would cause such resistance? I already checked my brakes to make sure they are not dragging. I do have some front differential whine, would that cause lagging? Come on folks I really need help on this? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy, the biggest help

would be for you

to tell us

what the car is

what type of tranny

how many miles

any recent work

Your description sounds like the center, rear, or front diff

is locking up.

Are your tires matched?

Hows the fluid level in the front diff?

BTW Your link to a convoluted site full of other advertisements

is not what we need.

Sorry, I could not find your sound bite.

Thanks Skip.

It is a 1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2L Automatic with a lot of miles on it.

I have recently changed the front and rear diff fluid about 2,000miles ago. Can there actually be to much diff fluid? I also used 75w90 instead of 80w90? Would that cause a problem?

Tires are the same in the front but different from the pair in the back. I have had all mismatched tires a long time ago and it never gave me a problem.

I have tried putting it into front wheel drive mode with the fuse with really no change.

Sorry about sound bite I didn't know where else to put it. The link is in the middle toward the bottom. There is a red arrow pointing to it and it says "Download Link: Noise.mp3"

Your welcome Jimmy

I merged the posts to get your description

across.

My quess is it is because of the mis matched tires

and the center section of the tranny is now

not happy.

Diff fluid type you used should not cause this problem.

Well it was the front Universal Joint. Thanks tcspeer! It was barely together. Runs ok now, no vibration, no noise. I replaced it with a used driveshaft. Cost, $100. Now, I have to work on a cv joint and deal with the dreaded differential whine.

BTW I am up to 458,000 miles!