Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have a 96' Leg. outback with a 2.5L engine auto trans. and 186,000 miles on the car. The other day I was driving in the mountains of N. Georgia when I noiced the temp. raising a little. I never allowed the engine to overheat, I pulled over and ckecked all fluids. The oil was a little low, have slow leak around valve covers, added some oil and coolant was fine. Drove a little further, same deal. The temp. guage never got above 3/4 but would move between normal and 3/4. Again there is no loss of fluid. What has been done already.

Less than a year ago, replaced raditor from Subaru and all hoses. rountine oil change

the past few days have driven the car around town, enough to have the engine temp. rise to normal, and no movement with the guage now.

The other day I was driving in the mountains of N. Georgia when I noiced the temp. raising a little. ........ The temp. guage never got above 3/4 but would move between normal and 3/4. Again there is no loss of fluid.

Call me mr. obviouos, but it sounds like you were driving in the mountains to me.

It in't abnormal for the temp to rise slightly under sustained loads. It's the fact it came back down, that shows the cooling system is doing it's job. No loss of fluid? Does it cool down even if you keep driving? If so, I'd say you may be just a bit over worried. But good for you to know not to drive into the red.

Call me mr. obviouos, but it sounds like you were driving in the mountains to me.

It in't abnormal for the temp to rise slightly under sustained loads. It's the fact it came back down, that shows the cooling system is doing it's job. No loss of fluid? Does it cool down even if you keep driving? If so, I'd say you may be just a bit over worried. But good for you to know not to drive into the red.

Mr Obvious :P

A few things. It wouldnt hurt to replace the radiator cap at this point. A cooling system servicing wouldnt be a bad idea.

Also inspect the radiator, make sure it is clear of debree. I think this is just more of maint then a mechanical failure.

nipper

from your description it sounds like it is going too high (3/4). like others mentioned change the thermostat (use Subaru only on this one, the aftermarkets are tiny and far lesser in quality), and the radiator cap.

when was the timing belt replaced? was the water pump replaced as well? keep us informed of other symptoms too.

less than a yr. ago the radiator was replaced with a new cap. the complete assembly came new from Subaru. To my knowledge the Timing belt, water pump, etc. are the original - I have not replaced them. I bought the car 1 1/2 years ago with 173,000 miles on it - it now has 186,000.

What website is the best for picking up genuine Subaru parts?

What is the Thermostat part number for the 96'

Thanks,

good point - when it gets hot or is idling for awhile check to make sure both fans are coming on. they operate via a sensor and relay that can fail.

To my knowledge the Timing belt, water pump, etc. are the original - I have not replaced them. I bought the car 1 1/2 years ago with 173,000 miles on it - it now has 186,000.
yeah that's really bad. this is an interference engine, if your timing belt breaks you will likely experience internal engine damage requiring head removal and valve replacement. if you'd like to run this car another 50k or more then you should consider a new timing belt, water pump and any noisey pulleys (i would personally replace them all with an ebay kit) and the tensioner.