Ultimate Subaru Message Board

newly purchased 1986 GL Sedan-many questions

Just purchased a 1986 GL sedan, automatic and 4WD. No manuals, etc. 98K miles.

What show I look out for first, I mean, what should I be checking to make sure something doesn't go while driving it?

Also, how do I use the 4WD?

There is a red button on the shifter. Push this in and I'm good to go? Should I only do it when stopped? Only use it on snow, ice or can I use on dry pavement?

Frist of probably many questions.

Thanks in advance.

The Lynn's

i only used the 4wd in snow or mud , some common things that can go bad are axles, the tranny can go bad around 150,000mi but mine never did, the speed for the fan [ heater, defrost ] oil leaks, + rust,ticking in the motor, also welcome to the board, good to see subaru owners close by

Just purchased a 1986 GL sedan, automatic and 4WD. No manuals, etc. 98K miles.

What show I look out for first, I mean, what should I be checking to make sure something doesn't go while driving it?

Also, how do I use the 4WD?

4WD - if all 4 tires are same model & miles:

I use 4WD in rain or worse.

If the tires are mixed pairs:

I use 4WD on starts in rain, always on in snow or off road.

Switch on the fly is one of the things that made Subaru famous.

Things to check so you don't break down -

Coolant hoses, all 7 of them. Anything over 5 years old, replace all of them. Thermostat, wouldn't hurt if it's over 10. Subarus do not like to run low on coolant. Check the radiator - especially in the corners of the electric fan shroud. If the little fins are gone or loose / falling out, get a new radiator.

Timing belts. Mine have always failed between 50K & 60K miles. So now I change them near 50K. Check the idlers while working on the belts.

If a T-belt breaks, it won't hurt the engine, just leave you stranded.

Listen to the engine idle with the hood open - if you hear the typical dry bearing rolling sound, find out which bearing is bad before it takes out the T-belt.

Best manual is a factory service manual. Some stuff is online here. Best bet is probably ebay.

All of my 3ATs have been no problem, except the ocasional vacuum modulator. Those fail eventually on any car, and are cheap & easy to replace. I have run synthetic ATF in all of them, have one at 206,000 miles, another 2 or 3 over 150,000. I can't say for sure if it made a difference in reliability, but they do shift better in the cold with it.

I have been driving & maintaining EA82s w/3ATs since about 1988.

Welcome to the board.