Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 OBW quesstions and CarFax req

My boy is looking at a 1997 Outback wagon. All I know if 100,000 miles, manual trans (5 speed?) AWD.

He said it runs and drives smooth but has what sounds like a rear wheel bearing going out.

Said it sounds exactly like a wheel bearing but I was wondering if there were any issues with rear differentials in these.

Any other thoughts or suggestions, I much appreciate.

If anyone has access, a CarFax might be handy.

VIN: 453BG6855V6642421

Thanks in advance,

Dale

P.S., My oldest boy bought a 92 (can't think of model) auto, AWD 4 door, now middle boy looking at this OBW. I'm getting jelous!. I have not had a Sube since I sold my XT-6, which I miss dearly.

Howdy Dale,

No major complaints/ issues with the rear diff

if it's kept full of fluid.

Or

wheel bearing for that matter - Imps and Foresters -> yes

the fix was the Legacy (OB) wheel bearing.

He has to check tire sizes all around

as it could be something else...

I'm sure you have heard of torque bind.

This is alo the era of the Head gasket problem.

Also if he can get any service records in reference to

the timing belt and it's assoc. parts it would be a bonus.

As you know this is an intereference engine and

nasty things happen

when the timing belt system goes toast.

Thanks Skip.

I am aware of torque bind. The tires are all getting down there, but look equal. Perhaps in the last quarter of their life.

I did hear that these DOHC engines are interference engines. Do you know if the interference is valve VS piston or is it valve VS valve?

Head gaskets, ay?

Not looking like much chance for the service records, but he's still trying.

Thanks again,

Dale

I did hear that these DOHC engines are interference engines. Do you know if the interference is valve VS piston or is it valve VS valve?
Subaru 2.5L phase I (dohc) is both valve-valve (intake to exhaust) and valve-piston interference.

Head gaskets, ay?
2.5L dohc phase I sometimes gets the exhaust blowing into coolant head gasket failure. Not all get it and with age/mileage possibility of failure increases. Do a search on here for head gaskets and you should find about 298572 threads.

Right on, timing belt is due by time alone, and mileage now (due at 105k miles or 105 months), if it hasn't been done yet. Laundry list of items that are very prudent to change at that time, i.e. water pump, geared/toothed idler, cam seals, crank seal, and some other things while in there.