Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'84 Brat idle irregularity...

This is an '84 Brat with fuel-injection and a Turbo. It used to run like a sewing machine...smooth as silk. Now, upon starting, it runs very rough and most times stalls soon after it starts. If I can get it to idle fast enough I might be able to get it to operating temperature but that's not a given since generally it won't stay running long enough. I should note that this problem is not consistent. On rare occasion it has just started right up and run smoothly however lately it either runs extremely rough down to a stall or it just won't start at all. This is even more odd: I have hit the steering wheel real hard....the first time out of sheer pissedoffness.:mad: ...and what happens? It suddenly starts running smooth like it had no problems. I know this Brat can't be playing games with me so what gives?:banghead:

You were saying about getting it up to operating temp, does the problem still happen when your up to temp? If its on initial startups, I would almost think it has something to do with the thermosensor (coolant temp sensor, not for the gauge). But if you could give a little more info, that would help. Is it only on cold starts? What about a hot start, shut it off, come back 5 min later and run it again? I really think hitting the steering wheel was just a chance thing that it started running nice again. The other day my lifters were tapping....I tapped the hood and they stopped. :) That's what I mean by a chance thing.