Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loud while driving and growling upon exceleration

I have a '97 OB Legacy Limited MT 2.5l, w/ 200,000 mi. Recently, it's noticeably loud upon start up, while driving and upon acceleration. It sounds like it is coming form the mid front of the car. Also, it seems like the rev I had at start up is significantly lower 1000rpms instead of arcing to 2,500 before coming back down. No codes, runs well...could this be exhaust?

Thanks

Wow, that was quick, thank you. Is this something to take to an exhaust shop?

If you don't want to deal with it yourself. Usually the bolts are junk and need to be cut off and replaced. Sometimes one or both flanges are rusted to the point of being unuseable. If you don't have some way to cut bolts or a welder to fix the flanges take it to someone who does. You'll be better off.

Thanks, I took it to a shop yesterday and it's the exhaust from the rear cat to the rear of the car. Expensive pipes!

If you don't want to deal with it yourself. Usually the bolts are junk and need to be cut off and replaced. Sometimes one or both flanges are rusted to the point of being unuseable. If you don't have some way to cut bolts or a welder to fix the flanges take it to someone who does. You'll be better off.