Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anybody taken apart a manual

likeall the way down to the gears, i got a auto apart, took the front diff and pinion, the output shafts are larger, but im having hell getting this dual range apart, im going to modifi the center diff and try to put a phantom grip front lsd in, i also wanted to clean up the cases and get them painted, and change all the seals, ect, anybody got any experience in this manual teritory

thanks

jules tatum

yes, i have, lots of bolts, i had problems taking mine apart, what questions do you have , i might be able to help you. make sure you take all the bolts out, remove tail-shaft assembly, then remove front bushing, then all case bolts, and there is a lot of them! also might want to mark where they go, most are different size, been a while (over a year) but i'll try to help, dont take the side plates off at the stub shafts! They are pre set and unless you have the propper equip, hard to set pinion/ring with out right tools correctly.

I just took my 79 single range apart this saturday to reseal it, if you are taking apart the trans all the way down I sugest staring with the tail shaft and work your way to the front with the case bolts last. to remove the tail shaft you will need to pound out the roll pins for the shifter forks and then slide the shifter shafts out, then you may pull the fork out followed buy the tail thaft bolts, from there it shouldent be too hard. to get the stub shafts off the front diff in the trany you will need a special E-bit to get those appart.

• 1 year later...

I have a question that you all should be able to answer - can one take a 5 - speed FT4WD transfer mechanism and put it on a D/R 5 - speed tranny? I think all the 5 - speed FT4WD trannies use a 3.7:1 ratio for the front diff, and I want to keep my 3.9:1 ratio. I posted a question on the subject, and was told that the front diffs are incompatable, however according to both FSM's I looked in, the only difference is in the crown gear (aside from the transfer shaft and rear mechanism). Is it worth a try? I want to make it a FT4WD D/R with all the gear ratios for the 5 - speed D/R tranny.

Here is what you can expect the inside of your transmission to look like after driving with a Phantom Grip in it:

http://homepage.mac.com/dgiessel/.Pictures/car/phantom_grip/

I do not recommend, Tycho, the poster of those pics, is a member here. That was not on a Subaru, a Saturn I think, but you can imagine that it will be a similar end result. Good luck! :eek:

OMG - that is the WORST tranny I have ever seen :eek:

Would someone please enlighten me as to how "phantom grip" is supposed to work and what the supposed benefit is? - Is it solely to make your front diff into a LSD, or is there supposed to be some other benefit?

it pushes metal blocks against the spider gears to reduce their ability to move independantly. It is similiar in action to a clutch pack lsd like a stock subaru rear lsd, only it uses metal on metal friction instead of clutch pads. If you overcome the friction force holding the spider gears together, and have 1 tire spinning and 1 not for any length of time, you'll be dealing with overheated/annealed gears and then plenty of metal shavings or even a grenaded spider gear.

just becouse of the post i drained the diff to look at the fluid, i do have a very small amount of debris, VERY SMALL, i have 800 miles on the trans now and it has become very civil on the street, with hop or bind, the rear las seated and the front stays open until slip acures, i have not had problems yet, but i also have a spare transmision just in case

Here is what you can expect the inside of your transmission to look like after driving with a Phantom Grip in it:

http://homepage.mac.com/dgiessel/.Pictures/car/phantom_grip/

I do not recommend, Tycho, the poster of those pics, is a member here. That was not on a Subaru, a Saturn I think, but you can imagine that it will be a similar end result. Good luck! :eek:

I remember seeing those pictures too when I was looking into the phantom grip. That really scared me. But I don't think we really have any other options for a front LSD for the 5 speed dual-range. My mechanic has talked me into it and I'm going to try it anyways since It's already ordered. I will be useing the stock gold springs though.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the putting a phantom grip in the front of a ea82 dual-range. We put the phantom grip in and the front diff wouldn't turn the wheels at all. The car will only run in Rear wheel drive when 4wd is engaged. We then added the biggest shims for the spider gears to make the phantom grip as tight as possible. And still couldn't get the front end to engage. For some reason the Phantom grip won't work in a EA82 tranny. We are now taking it out and going to have to run a front open diff. I'm very dissatisfied with Phantom grip. The only other option is to try a Cusco Front LSD but costs $1200. Which is too much money for me to experiment with.

The difference between the Phantom Grip and a real clutch type LSD is Dynamic loading. The PG is preload only so its ability to hold both wheels together is the same under all torque loads and to get it to hold any significant load it has to be very tight, that makes low power and throttle off steering much tougher. And its metal to metal contact, so you will see high wear and lots of heating when it does brake free.

The clutch type LSD use a much lighter preload and ramps that wedge the clutch packs under torque load, the harder you push it the tighter it gets.

I haven’t had the opportunity to spec it out yet, but I suspect there may be a way to take the clutch packs and maybe spider gears form the rear LSD and fit them in the front diff carrier. This will most likely require some creative machine work to adapt.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...