Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear brakes. Jacked up rear end and was spinning both wheels and there is resistance as if the brake pads were rubbing on the rotor. The pads appear to be still good. Brake job was done on the car by me a few years ago. Is this normal? I was thinking maybe the rotor could be bad. Hand brake was off.

FWD or AWD car??? Need more info!!!

AWD will give more resistance than a FWD will....

That said - an easy 'test' if you will is to pull the pads and try spinning again - if it spins easier, then check your rotors for warping.

I have an AWD that has a bad caliper - right rear - completely trashed a new set of pads in just a few months - pulled the caliper and completely disassembled because I couldnt get the piston to press back in for new pads...nasty....lots of gunk had built up and the piston is pitted - looking for a replacement caliper now....

JoAnne hit's the nail on the head for you.

Listen to her, she knows much more than most

guys that "think they know" do.

I would add the the outer pads have a tendency to hang

up in their slides.

The tabs (ears) tend to rust at their contact

points with the outer caliper bracket.

Using a file, I always clean this area and apply a

very judicious coating of antisieze on the ears.

As a side note sir, we do not know the type of Subaru you

drive.

Different models have different problems sometimes.

It sure helps to note the year, model, engine, mileage ect.

Thanks and hope this helps.

1996 Outback....

FWD or AWD car??? Need more info!!!

AWD will give more resistance than a FWD will....

That said - an easy 'test' if you will is to pull the pads and try spinning again - if it spins easier, then check your rotors for warping.

I have an AWD that has a bad caliper - right rear - completely trashed a new set of pads in just a few months - pulled the caliper and completely disassembled because I couldnt get the piston to press back in for new pads...nasty....lots of gunk had built up and the piston is pitted - looking for a replacement caliper now....

The wheels won't spin freely like a bicycle tire. It should spin fairly freely and smoothly and if you give it a good twirl it should stay spinning for a little bit after you take your hand away. If you give it a good push and it stops immediately when you take your hand away then maybe something is hanging up.

Yes the caliper guide and lock pins are common places where it gets hung up, as is dirt/rust in the caliper brackets making the pad ears stick in place. Sometimes the calipers themselves sieze up with age or if water gets past the rubber boot over the piston.

JoAnne hit's the nail on the head for you.

Listen to her, she knows much more than most

guys that "think they know" do.

Thanks for the props, Skip, does an ego good!! :grin:;)

and yeah, the pads do tend to "hang up" in the brackets if said brackets don't get a good cleaning at pad change time. I also use antiseize in this area. doesnt requier gobs of it, just a light coating is sufficient.

DO NOT use antisieze on the caliper pins however - it will damage the rubber boots. Get some of the caliper "grease" specifically made for doing these items. should be able to get it at any parts store. again, not necessary to use gobs of the stuff, just a light coating.

The wheels will not spin freely and easily on an AWD - they will seem stiff, but as porcupine said, they will turn a bit themselves after a good shove around.

Listen closely as you turn the wheels - if you can hear a rubbing sound then you need to investigate further. if the rubbing only occurs at a certain point in the turn, then chances are you have a warped rotor. If it is pretty consistant throughout the complete turn of the wheel, then you have other problems.

The pads appear to be still good. Brake job was done on the car by me a few years ago.

um, just how did you inspect the pads?? did you pull the caliper up out of the way?? or did you just try to see them thru the top of the caliper??

Pull the caliper up and get a GOOD look at those pads - the suggestion of a few years ago makes me think it may be needing new pads again....

Also, compare the wear on the pads inner to outer - if one is worn more than the other, the caliper is not moving freely on it's pins.

I tried to look by just removing the wheels and even using a flashlight was unable to get a good look at the pads. I will do it again and remove calipers as you suggested. Will check the brackets and caliper pins as well for lubrication. I may end up replacing the rotor as I never turned it. It was smooth. Thanks very much to everyone.