Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 outback 217k

So when I started my car today it sounded like I was starting a modded WRX. Only problem is it sounded like it was coming from rite below me. I get out to look and cant see and damage to the exhaust system. It seems to be coming from around the catalytic converter. It seems to smell alittle more then normal. Its pretty load. Iam not upset that its load, But wondering what you guys would do. Iam I losing backpresser? Are other problems going to come from this?

ok thanks guys. Ill take a closer look at it later. Its too cold and snowy out now. Ill probly end up driving around with it rumbling for a month or so. Money is tight.

I am from Hazleton. But I go to school at RIT, in rochester ny, thats were i am at now.

I had the pipe rust out right at the connection between the resonator and 2nd cat, where the big shiny bolt is in your picture last spring. Took it to a custom exhaust shop and for $55 they welded in a new "flex pipe" (it's about 4 inches long) and it's been good as new ever since.

I'd suggest taking to a trusted exhaust shop that does fabrication, or else you'll have a place telling you that you'll need a new cat and intermediate pipe.

Brian

It might be the flange rusted away at the back of the second converter. That's really common. I fix that with a split flange I get from Autozone http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP9882/store,1141/shopping/accessoryProductDetail.htm and I get a new donut gasket from subaru, none of the parts stores seem to stock the gasket around here.

• 9 months later...