Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just sold my last subaru 1990 Leg that had periodic overheating. The symptoms were right in line with the leaking head. A mech bought it to rebuild. Thus, I'm looking for a 02 or newer legacy or outback. A relative had a 01 with constant problems. Are the 02's good? Do the manuals still have the hill holder?

type in "headgasket" on this forum. or go to the internet and type in "subaru headgasket" and see what you get. the 1996-"2002" EJ25 (2.5 liter engine) has head gasket issues. so walk softly. they're great cars, it's fixable, but paying top dollar and then needing $2,000 in engine work does not make fun. i say "2002" because it seems more and more 2003 and later models are showing up with the same leaks....like someone just did last week.

According to a well regarded local independent car repair place that I connected with, Art's Automotive in Berkeley (they specialize in several Japanese marques including Subaru), ALL Subes with the EJ25 engine, including the later ones, are subject to premature head gasket failure. It's because of a design flaw in the engine and none of the newest head gasket versions have been able to successfully overcome the problem. Apparently, there's just too much stress on the head gaskets at certain points in the engine. Don't know, though, if Subaru has made any internal design modifications on the newest EJ25s to address that issue.

While some of us may luck out with head gaskets lasting well past 100k miles, most of us will just have to expect head gasket grief before then, even with the newer EJ25s.:(

Do you guys agree or disagree?

My 02 Forester has an external headgasket leak that will need to be replaced soon. The warranty extends to most 2002's, so the problem is still in that year.

If I were to buy another $ubaru, (after all it's problems there's no way in hell I would), I would stick to 03's and newer.

go with the 2,2 motor

2.2s can blow a headgasket also. I just replaced one in a 91 legacy with 190,000 miles.

I don't know why so many people think a heagasket failing is the end of the world? I'd rather lose a headgasket @ 150k+ in a subaru, than lose the transmission in my Volvo at 50k or a piston exploding in a Grand cherokee with 100k

It's totally fixable, and since 97, causes less damage than a broken timing belt.(provided you don't overheat it)

Whatever vehicle it's in, I'd try to find a 2.5 that's already had it's headgasket changed recently.

...I don't know why so many people think a heagasket failing is the end of the world?...

You may be missing the point. Head gaskets on the 2.5 engines are too often failing way too early......sometimes at 30k miles (or even sooner!). And once Subaru's extended warranty on the heads expires, the owner has to foot the bill for head gasket replacement, an expensive job.

Labor rates at repair shops in my neck of the woods are now around $100 per hour, and a lot higher at dealerships.

If the head gaskets would routinely hold up for, say, 150k miles (not an unreasonable expectation), having them replaced would not be that big a deal. But on the EJ25 engine, some owners may experience three or four faliures during 150K; the latest head gaskets don't seem to hold up much longer than the original ones.