Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cool EA81 Door Trim.

I dragged this wagon home today. The guy I bought the Hatch from last week had it in his yard and said I could have it for Free, if I promised to come back soon and get it. Well, you know i can't turn down a Free subaru. Especially one that has some really Cool door trim. It looks to be aluminum and it is riveted on. I'v never seen it before, I'm wondering if its stock?

freesubaru.jpg

doortrim.jpg

Ughhh...........that stuff. Yeah, I think it is a dealer add-on.

I don't like it. My Black Diamond 84 Sedan has that crap. I think it takes away from the lines of the car. Plus all the plastic inisde has shrunk, leaving big gaps at the ends. On one part it's even completely gone, leaving the ugly track and exposed rivets.

It WILL be going bye-bye before I do the restoration and repaint her. Then comes the EJ25 w/4eat swap.

I just realized you meant that lower stuff. My Black diamond has chrome down there. I'm talking bout the skinny crap in the middle

Does it run?

No..Blown headgasket. Its decent inside thou. His wife drove it for a couple years after the Hatch I bought from them last week, blew a HG (which I put a resealed motor in, runs great.). She has a new OBW sitting in the driveway. I never got to meet her, seems she's a die hard Subaru fan. I wanted to plug the board. They're older folks who own a Horse Ranch up on the Kitsap Peninsula. Nice people.

I have mostly seen that lower stuff in the earlier stages of the EA81 generation. I just recently replaced all that door trim on my Brat. The little pieces that hold it into the metal had broken off so every time you shut the door, the trim would pop off. I noticed a little changeover in the 84 year with my Hatch. The piece of trim that attaches to the fender in front of the doors were this nasty epoxy stuff that held them on my hatchback; while the two 83 Brats utilized the white tabs. I had to pry that crap out of the molding so I could fit the plastic tabs in there like they should. Most of the time was spent aligning the tabs so they all fit in the door like they should and having the correct distance of spacing.

Parts Brat/Hatch FTW.

That is a nice car! Specially for being free...you PNW people...Just dont know LOL A free car on this side of the pond is usually not recognizable as a car.

Speaking of which..I cant wait for my 83 coupe to go out and touch it and then send it on its way here.

So what are your plans for Freebie??

So what are your plans for Freebie??

Tomorrow morning I'm going to power wash the heck out of it. I have another good EA81 to put into it, but i'm running out of Webers. I might actually have to break down and learn something, figure out how to get one of these Hitachi's with all there Vac. stuff to run properly.

Webers are cool, but I have weberized three Subaru's now (every one I own). It's kind of a cop out, kinda. Either way, under all that grim and green stuff, it's a solid car.

I'm going to make it Run again. Maybe it will Run well enough to tow a Coupe back to Connecticut.:grin:

Looks to be an easy fix thats for sure..I would spray it down with some Simple Green or Purple Power and ..like you said..spray the tar outta it..toss a coat of wax on it and it will be good as new.

HAHAHA my coupe is snuggled in nicely at Turbones house...I am flying out in April for a few days to work on the car and visit with some..help another friend find a serious water leak in his XT and if thing work out..we should be able to take my coupe to the DAS terminal and send it on its way east..then I will fly back. Not taking any chances with my precious..Ya'll just dont know what a prize cars like your freebie and my coupe are over here.

And dont you PNWers fret..my little blue coupe is going to be garage kept and will NEVER EVER see road salt...If I have to it will be put in a bubble.