Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT dash bezel replacement

Sometimes I think these were designed a little TOO cleanly if you know what I mean. I'm trying to figure out how the front plastic piece comes off from the dash so I can replace it, but there appear to be no screw covers or clips holding it in place. Is there another secret place I should be looking to allow this to pop off?:confused:

on the trip computer is one small square tab -pop it off and there's a screw underneath. with the trip computer out there are two more screws in that opening facing down towards the stereo...and two screws holding the stereo bracket in place. remove those. then i think at the very bottom are two more screws underneath the radio, you'll see once you pull it out. the rest is all clips. proceed carefully, you probably already know but they break very, very easily and are becoming very hard to find.

I think there is one more screw on the lower part of the driver's side. It's been awhile since I pulled mine out, so I could be wrong.

Fragile doesn't even come close to discribing that trim piece. Mine was broke when I got the 6. I pulled it in hopes of fixing it somehow. (I worked in a Plastic Injection Mold Plant at the time and had access to different adhesives for plastics). I had the 2 pieces hanging on nails out in the garage until I could do/attempt repairs. It basically crumbled in my hands as I tried working with it. It's now in about 20 pieces......

I had a feeling it would be fragile, so I already have a replacement for it. I'm thinking I might wait until I can replace the main dash piece first though since there's a HUGE sun-crack on the top. I know I need a stereo bracket too, so once all the parts are lined up, then I can just do the whole thing. Thanks for the tips on how to get to the screws though. Aside from the dash looking a bit beat, it's in surprisingly good shape for the year.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't be surprised, knowing the number of good finds people seem to happen upon here.:grin: