Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Evenin all.

I was under the car today, Changing the auto fluid, and having a general poke around, and check. I noticed that one of the steering rack gaiters was split, so it needs replacing. What lube should I chuck in there to keep it sweet?

Also, theres a bit of a clonk coming from that general area. Are the inner track rod ends adjustable/checkable?

I've done a search here, and the consensus seems to be that if the rack ain't leaking, it's probably OK. However, I've found a low mileage one on Ebay, cheap, and was wondering if it might be good preventative maintenance?

I don't want to change it un-necessarily though. The car's an'00 Outback, 142,000 miles

Any advice?

Cheers, Nick

yes... you can check the inner and outer tie rod ends by either a doing a dry park test or by jacking up the front end of the car and grasping the tire at 3 and 9 oclock and try to move the tire back and forth and feel/look for excessive play in that area....the dry park test is simple...if you have access to a rack type lift you can drive the car up on the rack and get an assistant to sit in there....raise the vehicle and have the assistant just rock the steering wheel back and forth slightly and look /feel for play at the tie rods that way. I know my steering rack boot tore about 30k miles ago and i just started noticeing symptoms of a bad inner tie rod.....so i just got done replacing the inner and outer tie rod ends and the steering rack boots.....so my opinion would be that if nothing has any excessive play than i would just go ahead and throw the boots on.....than again the car does have alot of miles.......it might be worth it to do it all at once......good luck!:)

subaru steering racks are very resilient and reliable. i would leave it. they very rarely fail and the only significant issues they have is leaking...which yours isn't doing yet, so i would not replace the entire rack.

assuming the knock is the inner tie rod, replace it. tie rods are way too important and dangerous to not replace if they are bad. a friend of mines broke while driving in the fall (not a subaru), it was a bit scarry, he was following me.

as for replacing the rack, i think most experienced Subaru people would recommend doing that, but we'll see as others chime in. i would feel more confident with your rack...knowing that it's been in constant use, well taken care of (until this boot!) and continuously properly lubed, as well as not leaking than some rack that was in an accident, ended up in a junk yard and has been sitting and drying out the seals and collecting dust for who knows how long.

not sure on the lube but a last resort might be to crack open any tie rod end at the parts store and they usually come with grease i believe (at least the few i've replaced do on american vehicles). read the pack, i doubt it's anything particular.

if there's any suspicion at all that it's weak or warn i would not just replace the boot, replace the tie rod as well. i already said it but a tie rod busting can be insanely dangerous...you're talking about one of the most dangerous situations here. this is not one area to take any chances.

My '97 has 212k. The steering rack is finally at a point to be replaced as it is leaking pretty good now. Smells great burning off the header everyday, and the looks from folks arond me; "No, the car is not going to blow up, people"...

Anyway, just an FYI and a testament to the rack's reliability. ;)