Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Flippin Weak

Well i was loadin up the kiddies in the parking lot which hasnt been completely plowed was sitting in some snow bout 9 inches. When i go to leave i get hung up in snow ruts. I was mad i thought these cars were gonna be tough so i push the 4wd in. Nada it doesnt engege wonderful japanease engineereing so im sittin here going this sucks subarus dont get stuck what a crock. But then i was like its a subaru try again. I was able to rock it back and forth and i got out eventually but man it wasnt that much snow and the tires are almost brand new. I assume if my 4wd button was working things would of gone different but was not my best getting stuck moment but then again it wasnt my worst. Is there something i can replace that push button with like a hand activated leaver.

Ben

Well i was loadin up the kiddies in the parking lot which hasnt been completely plowed was sitting in some snow bout 9 inches. When i go to leave i get hung up in snow ruts. I was mad i thought these cars were gonna be tough so i push the 4wd in. Nada it doesnt engege wonderful japanease engineereing so im sittin here going this sucks subarus dont get stuck what a crock. But then i was like its a subaru try again. I was able to rock it back and forth and i got out eventually but man it wasnt that much snow and the tires are almost brand new. I assume if my 4wd button was working things would of gone different but was not my best getting stuck moment but then again it wasnt my worst. Is there something i can replace that push button with like a hand activated leaver.

Ben

the "wonderful japanese engineering" you are so wrongly ripping on has always gotten me through more snow than i probably should have been driving in. Sorry you seem to have so many problems with your ride.

If you have an automatic, activation is hydraulic. And it is not *cancelled* when shut off. there is no fluid pressure so the clutch pack is not under pressure, but as soon a you start again, pressure is applied. No movement require to engage. This is provided the Solenoid energizes, and the clutch pack is not worn out.

Manuals DO require movement to engage. It is possible to rig a lever for *direct* activation. But fixing the solenoids, switch or vaccum line that isn't operating is ussually easier than rigging.

the "wonderful japanese engineering" you are so wrongly ripping on has always gotten me through more snow than i probably should have been driving in. Sorry you seem to have so many problems with your ride.

I should cut it some slack its former owner was my brother and he would of rather drive it and run it into the ground then take care of it. I was just bashing the push button 4wd the car itself runs fairly well. With my wife being in the hospital and haveing 3 kids i havent had much tiime to chase down the 4wd issue but thats something i will do this summer along with many many other things.

Ben

p.s. it is manual transmission

no heater controls work fine. Its weird because i can almost feel it engage like when you put something in 4wd and u feel a slight loss in power becaue its being transfered to the rear but i still get nothing. Alls i know is last night when i engaged it only the front tires were spinning. Its strange.

Ben

Did the 4wd indicator light?

It's activation switch is mounted on the rear of the transmission, and is pushed, physically by the shift collar for the 4WD. Not just the lever but by the actual shift collor. i.e. ...if the light comnes on, the shift collar has moved, engaged gears, and you should have 4wd.

The *loading* you are feeling probably is a vaccum leak

You need to figure out which part isn't working.

First thing to do is go under the car, Passenger side, rear of trans. The lever for 4wd is on the rear of the trans, connected to a cable. Try moving the lever by hand. If it is sticky, lube it up. Disconnect the cable if you have to. But make sure the lever moves easily. I lived in Wisconsin. Issues with this type of thing are often from corrosion there.

After reconnecting cable, next I would try applying vaccum to the lines going to the vaccuum diaphrahm that controls the cable. Using a hand held pump, you should be able to shift in and out of 4wd by applying vac to one line, then the other.

If that's all working, but the 4wd doesn't want to engage. Test that the vaccuum supply to the solenoids is good. Test for voltage to each solenoid with the key on, both button position.

If all that checks out, then one of the solenoids is simply not functioning. Replace them as a set, easier than seperating them.

Mine had vacuum problems for the longest time, but i solved it all by spending around 20 bucks and a couple hours of work replacing the hoses. You can buy the hose by the foot at your local parts store. It was the best thing i ever did for the car. The 4wd worked, the cruise control worked, and heck it even runs better. Do yourself a favor and get a little dirty fixing an easy problem!

Mine had vacuum problems for the longest time, but i solved it all by spending around 20 bucks and a couple hours of work replacing the hoses. You can buy the hose by the foot at your local parts store. It was the best thing i ever did for the car. The 4wd worked, the cruise control worked, and heck it even runs better. Do yourself a favor and get a little dirty fixing an easy problem!

yea again i just dont have the time right now to even look at it. Ill just deal with it but i will save what was written and go over it at a more convenient time or with the help of a master.

Thanks All

Ben