Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trouble going into Drive

Greetings, first time in this forum

I have a 2000 Outback, When I put it in drive it takes time before it gets into gear, often it hits hard and jumps. Once in gear everything is fine. there is no problem putting it in reverse. Transmission places and Subaru say transmission is fine (true while driving) or I was told this is unusual because this type of problem would happen in Reverse, not Drive.

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Another that needs to be put into the new gen forum.

There are a few posts on this with the 1999's. What happens when you put the car into reverse, then drive? (or Low)

This is an annoying problem, but short of a rebuild not much you can do about it. you can try chainging the fluid, and i know someone had some sucess with a tranny additive.

You need to wait till the car goes into gear before taking off. That thump your doing is essentially a neutral drop and hammers away at the tranny.

The issue is an internal seal being weak in the tranny someplace if i remeber correctly.

this is common to 1999-ish vehicles. bizarre since the 4EAT remains changed little over the years, not something you would expect to have problems.

a friend had hers fixed last year....just shy of $2,000 i think and that was a family friend who's a retired transmission rebuilder.

you can search the forums, there are a few instances of people trying additives that helped or relieved the issue. last year i emailed one of the guys who successfully tried this a few years ago that i saw when i searched the threads. since this girl was having a problem with hers i was wondering how his made out a few years later. he wrote back and said he never had any problems with it.